Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 196

Thread: E-6 to C-41: A Transition

  1. #1
    ARS KC2UU
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Morristown, NJ USA
    Posts
    710

    E-6 to C-41: A Transition

    Greetings and a thread starter:

    I'm looking for suggestions.

    After TPI in Fairfield, NJ closed its doors at the beginning of this year, I lost the last available lab in my normal travel area that processed E-6 films.

    So now I'm in the process of switching over to C-41 films for most of my photo work that I can still get processed locally. I like the idea of being able to hand deliver and pick-up my work, paying out-of-pocket, without having to resort to mailing and charge-cards.

    Now I've always been an E-6 film fan and I have my favorites. Many of them are discontinued but I've managed to stockpile quite a supply so that is not an immediate issue.

    The problem is that no matter what C-41 films I've used to date, I simply don't seem to get the same results at sunset and after dark with these films that I get with my favorite transparencies. And yes I've tinkered with all the colors, saturation, histogram, brightness, and other controls that are available to me with my Epson 4990 scanning software.

    To now I've tried a lot of different C-41 films including Ektar 100 and Portra VS but still no real comparison to RVP, RDP, RTP, and Ektachrome transparency films I've used extensively for so long. I've also tried cross-processing a few and had some moderate success with CDU II which give me some nice sunset colors.

    So, I'll post a few examples later but for now I'd like to hear others' suggestions about their success with C-41 films during those witching hours of sunrise and sunset.

    Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    485

    Re: E-6 to C-41: A Transition

    Sounds like you like very saturated colors. Kodak Ektar 100 is a good place to start. After scanning (with minimum adjustments in the scanner software) I would then treat your scans in Photoshop or similar software - you should be able to get very close to what you are looking for - there are even actions in Photoshop that allow you to simulate various E-6 looks. I believe Nik software is offering a bunch of those.
    Juergen

  3. #3
    David de Gruyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    267

    Re: E-6 to C-41: A Transition

    I guess Taylor (Princeton) is not in your travel area?

    More importantly, where are you getting large format C-41 done that you can't get E-6 done? (I can't help with the original question).

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    137

    Re: E-6 to C-41: A Transition

    for not much money you can process E6 at home, all my work is home processed as there is nowhere left locally. The chemicals cost around 20 cents a sheet. Its not a hard process and I've always had great results.

  5. #5
    Drew Wiley
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    SF Bay area, CA
    Posts
    7,326

    Re: E-6 to C-41: A Transition

    Chrome and color neg films are just different. I find myself using both, but for different
    kinds of subject matter per hue pallette, contrast range, etc. The saturation peaks of
    the dyes ultimately have to somehow wiggle around that orange mask, and there's
    an inevitable effect, though improvements in C-41 films have certainly been dramatic
    in recent years (unless you preferred the old muddy Vericolor look).

  6. #6
    ARS KC2UU
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Morristown, NJ USA
    Posts
    710

    Re: E-6 to C-41: A Transition

    Quote Originally Posted by David de Gruyl View Post
    I guess Taylor (Princeton) is not in your travel area?

    More importantly, where are you getting large format C-41 done that you can't get E-6 done? (I can't help with the original question).
    David:

    There's a lab in Clifton NJ, Pro-Lab that has been doing my LF C-41 with great results. Very professional.

    But they don't do E-6 or B&W and send it out. Same as I could do myself.

    Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

  7. #7
    ARS KC2UU
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Morristown, NJ USA
    Posts
    710

    Re: E-6 to C-41: A Transition

    Quote Originally Posted by Juergen Sattler View Post
    Sounds like you like very saturated colors. Kodak Ektar 100 is a good place to start. After scanning (with minimum adjustments in the scanner software) I would then treat your scans in Photoshop or similar software - you should be able to get very close to what you are looking for - there are even actions in Photoshop that allow you to simulate various E-6 looks. I believe Nik software is offering a bunch of those.
    Yes I really like the Kodak Ektar 100 and it gives great results during the day. I stocked up on it a few weeks ago.

    But so far (at least the few times I tried) it's not a good comparison to E-6 at sunset or after.

    Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

  8. #8
    ARS KC2UU
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Morristown, NJ USA
    Posts
    710

    Re: E-6 to C-41: A Transition

    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Chrome and color neg films are just different. I find myself using both, but for different
    kinds of subject matter per hue pallette, contrast range, etc. The saturation peaks of
    the dyes ultimately have to somehow wiggle around that orange mask, and there's
    an inevitable effect, though improvements in C-41 films have certainly been dramatic
    in recent years (unless you preferred the old muddy Vericolor look).
    Actually I have lots of Vericolor VPS and VPL in stock and I use these regularly for the grainy-muddy look that you suggested.

    Sometimes after dark they do well but the graininess intensifies.

    Example attached on VPL.

    Bob G.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LF-464.jpg  
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

  9. #9
    ARS KC2UU
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Morristown, NJ USA
    Posts
    710

    Re: E-6 to C-41: A Transition

    Quote Originally Posted by David Higgs View Post
    for not much money you can process E6 at home, all my work is home processed as there is nowhere left locally. The chemicals cost around 20 cents a sheet. Its not a hard process and I've always had great results.
    Good suggestion and I've thought of that.

    Unfortunately after a costly divorce I'm homeless and live with family members. Not my house and I've been reluctant to consider home processing until I retire and invest in my own home. Probably about 7-years down the road.

    So probably stuck with lab processing until then.

    Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    892

    Re: E-6 to C-41: A Transition

    Have you considered mailing your E-6 exposures to a reputable lab? I use AgX. Rumor has it, Fuji and Kodak will continue to provide chemistry for the next two years, and I imagine that the few remaining E-6 labs will stockpile a couple year's worth of chemistry. If you prefer E-6 emulsions your only obstacles for the next few years are: 1) dealing with the wait, and 2) dealing with the worry of loss in the mail. I've never had film lost or damaged in the mail, but it always makes me a little nervous. Using the USPS, round trip postage is about $12 for a one-week turnaround, Seattle to Sault Ste Marie.

Similar Threads

  1. "Petzval" Photoshop Filter or Action?
    By Jay Decker in forum Digital Processing
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 23-Jul-2012, 19:37
  2. Should I shoot 120 and then transition to 4x5?
    By Vascilli in forum On Photography
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 14-Aug-2010, 05:56
  3. Wim van The Transition from Film to Digital
    By r.e. in forum On Photography
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 14-Feb-2009, 12:56
  4. Some very basic questions about using an Epson V700 Photo please.
    By newmoon2night in forum Digital Processing
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 12-Jun-2008, 08:59
  5. Grad ND Filters - Soft or Hard Edge ?
    By Doug Meek in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 3-Feb-2004, 12:54

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •