Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to you carry 8x10 (or larger) camera. Your solution?

How to you carry 8x10 (or larger) camera. Your solution?

I am seeking ideas how to carry 8x10 Toyo.

It's not the weight, it's the size.
    I am not planning to go hiking with that camera, but I need to carry to the normal photographing locations - which means always a walk of some kilometers at least. Mostly on good pavement, gravel roads or easy trails.

The usual camera backbacks are too small and the larger are pricy too. My largest is Lowepro Pro-trekker and it's small.

The camera (when collapsed as small as it's reasonable) needs circa 45 x 50 cm x 30 cm (18" x 20" x 12") space. The latter is thickness and it's that much only at the bottom of the frames where the short rail is. Otherwise it's 7 cm thinner, requiring 23 cm (9").

Along with the camera comes the rail, couple of lenses, two film backs (they're heavy), wooden tripod and normal LF stuff (lightmeter, ....)

I have been looking some cheap, second hand army backback, but they seems to be too small.

So far.. The only solution I have found is to buy old backpack with a frame (or plain frame) and either build kind a box for camera and attach it to the frame or seek for a some large bag and attach it to the frame.

I guess that this is a problem that many of LF photographers have faced, so better solution exists, I presume.
    Jukka Vuokko
    Flickr

Re: How to you carry 8x10 (or larger) camera. Your solution?

I use an older art wolfe sun dog pack that's gigantic. I built my own dividers. I also have a lightware bp1420 but they're very rare used and $$$ new. Adorama sells them though.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Hi! This is a common problem, and there's lots of previous discussion. There's baby strollers, folding luggage carts, various types of trailers, and of course backpacks.

Here's the ARUC backpack frame (link).

Octogenarian

Don't carry it on your back or on a tripod over your shoulder.

Put wheels under it!

I would get something like an f64 view camera case and lash that on to an external pack frame. There are several threads here, one recent, about carrying 8x10 gear and it has several ideas and links.

For the easy walks, I would drop the view camera case into a baby jogging stroller.

I have just completed my carry cart after much discussion on the other threads. I'll post some pictures tomorrow as it is getting dark now.
    My camera, Fulmer & Schwing 8X10, is large and heavy. I wanted (needed) to do mine on the cheap side, so I purchased a wheel barrow, added a second wheel, removed the tub and mounted a plywood platform on it so I could strap my camera case, lens case(three lenses), film case (9 film holders), and gadget case (exposure meters, lupe, cable release, tape measure, level, eye glasses, etc, etc.), and I strap my tripod on top of the whole mess.
    Works like a charm, and with the large inflatable tires, I can comfortable take it off road onto ruff terrain. I think I have about $80 tied up in it.

If you have a case for the camera you can use a cargo frame. I used one when I used a monorail in the field.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunti...3Bcat104345280
    Ron McElroy
    Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by jvuokko View Post
    I am seeking ideas how to carry 8x10 Toyo.

It's not the weight, it's the size.
    I am not planning to go hiking with that camera, but I need to carry to the normal photographing locations - which means always a walk of some kilometers at least. Mostly on good pavement, gravel roads or easy trails.

The usual camera backbacks are too small and the larger are pricy too. My largest is Lowepro Pro-trekker and it's small.

The camera (when collapsed as small as it's reasonable) needs circa 45 x 50 cm x 30 cm (18" x 20" x 12") space. The latter is thickness and it's that much only at the bottom of the frames where the short rail is. Otherwise it's 7 cm thinner, requiring 23 cm (9").

Along with the camera comes the rail, couple of lenses, two film backs (they're heavy), wooden tripod and normal LF stuff (lightmeter, ....)

I have been looking some cheap, second hand army backback, but they seems to be too small.

So far.. The only solution I have found is to buy old backpack with a frame (or plain frame) and either build kind a box for camera and attach it to the frame or seek for a some large bag and attach it to the frame.

I guess that this is a problem that many of LF photographers have faced, so better solution exists, I presume.
    Inexpensive route, pick up a computer pack, like the kids use. they are faairly roomy. with separate section & are PADDED to cushion a notebook which means you have plenty of room for film holders.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

There is a store here in the states called REI. I just sold this pack for a very good price and it held my 8x20, a couple of holders and two lenses, darkcloth and other stuff. My torso was to small for the pack because it was a large. The link gives all of the specs. Maybe you can find one. BTW my 8x20 was about 24" x 14" x 8".

http://www.rei.com/product/762496

Thank you. Many good advices already!

Cargo frame and computer pack could be one good combination.

This seems to be very common problem indeed
    Jukka Vuokko
    Flickr