Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F64 BP backpack tripod holder

F64 BP backpack tripod holder

Hey all.

So a lovely F64 BP backpack arrived at my door a few hours, and for the life of me, I can't figure out how I'm supposed to attach a tripod to it !

HALP !!!

(btw, everything else about the backpack seems sweet ! gotta load it up and see how it handles !)

Re: F64 BP backpack tripod holder

If you go to the f64 web site at http://www.f64camerabag.com/backpacks.html you'll see that they say "unique lash down tabs allow you to attach a tripod . . . " All you need to do is figure out where those "unique lash down tabs" are and how to use them. : - ) FWIW I have the larger BPX version and I carry my tripod by hand, I've never really tried to figure out how to attach a tripod since I don't care. I'm sure someone else here must know how to use these unique lash down tabs.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I have the BPX version too, and I carry the tripod by hand or on my shoulder. Like Brian, I didn't bother to figure out if / how the tripod can be attached to the backpack. Sorry, not much help either.

Dang !
    I loaded the pack up, and it's so roomy ! I can fit in a 4x5 camera, 3 lenses, a fuji gw690, a 35mm SLR and still have room to spare !!!

As for the tripod, I should be able to retrofit a Kata style tripod holder (which just strap onto some holders), but it'll be nice to use the bag as is (really don't wanna carry the tripod, no matter how light it is. It's annoying !!!).

... and yeah ! What the hell are lash down tabs ??????

Quote Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
    Dang !
    I loaded the pack up, and it's so roomy ! I can fit in a 4x5 camera, 3 lenses, a fuji gw690, a 35mm SLR and still have room to spare !!!

As for the tripod, I should be able to retrofit a Kata style tripod holder (which just strap onto some holders), but it'll be nice to use the bag as is (really don't wanna carry the tripod, no matter how light it is. It's annoying !!!).

... and yeah ! What the hell are lash down tabs ??????
    On the left side (as you face the front of the BPX pack) there are four plastic gizmos attached to the pack, running vertically along the front left edge and back left edge of the pack with a slit in each gizmo (sorry to not be describing them very well but if your pack is like the BPX pack I think you'll see what I mean). It looks like you could attach a tripod to the side of the pack using those gizmos if you had straps of some sort to run through the gizmos and hold the tripod in place. Maybe those gizmos aren't just mere gizmos but might actually be "unique lash down tabs."
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be

I just bought the BP, too (for an 8x10), and I suspect the lash down tabs are the square plastic things on the top front. Probably better to tie it to the side somehow, or carry by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesFromSydney View Post
    I just bought the BP, too (for an 8x10), and I suspect the lash down tabs are the square plastic things on the top front. Probably better to tie it to the side somehow, or carry by hand.
    As I mentioned before, I do prefer to just carry it by hand or over my shoulder. But you could be right about the two plastic squares. I've always wondered what they were for. Of course that would still leave the question of what the plastic gizmos I mentioned are for. Or maybe both groups of gizmos could be used for a tripod, who knows.

I'd suggest asking the outfit that make the backpacks but I've asked them several questions over the years and never received a response.
    Brian Ellis

If your pack came with the 4x5 holder pouch that attach to the sides you can put the feet of the tripod in an empty 4x5 pouch and use some webbing and strap the tripod to the pack with the upper loops. The tripod will ride pretty high but it should work unless you are using a ries which probably weighs more than your loaded pack
    erik

Awesome idea !
    Was thinking something along those lines, but never occurred to me to use one of those pouches :P
    My pouches will be full of film, but they're cheap enough to get another one, or I'll make something similar

I always load up the camera when I start and carry the tripod and camera over my shoulder. I use a Gitzo and a three way head, and drill a second hole in the metal plate of the camera so I can use two tripod screws for stability. (Actually got a friend at a machine shop to do this for me accurately.) The reason I carry it this way is to make it quicker to set up a shot, take the photo and move on to another one.

However, if you want to carry the camera in the pack, you probably ought to strap the camera to the top of the pack. I just looked at my pack and it doesn't have the strap holders up there either. I might suggest a trip to your local REI or other climbing store and see if there's someone local who can glue or sew some crampon ties up there. They're diamond shaped bits of leather with slips for straps of whatever size you need.

Lenny