Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any alternative Linhof bellows fit Technikardan?

Carpenter

Any alternative Linhof bellows fit Technikardan?

I just bought a Linhof Technikardan 45 (non-s) and it came with just the bag bellows. Seeing as I want to use my normal (210) to long (360) lens', but can't see spending $600-700 on a factory bellows, what are my options?

Option #1: I see someone from China is selling standard bellows for this camera on the Bay, but they don't come with the frames. I could buy someones ratty, pinholed bellows, harvest the frames and I'd be good to go, but who knows about the quality of the Chinese product?

Option #2: Are the Technikardan standards unique to the camera, or would a bellows from one of the other Linhof monorails work?

Option #3: Buy ratty bellows, harvest the frames, and get Westren Bellows to make a custom setup?

For all practical purposes, I don't need 485mm of extension, and since I have the bag bellows I'm covered on the short end. What are my options if I don't want to spend the same amount of $ on bellows as I did the camera?

Re: Any alternative Linhof bellows fit Technikardan?

1: Not that we know of. It uses a double tapered bellows and there are not many around. It compresses enough to let you use a 65mm without movements with the standard bellows.

2: Yes

3: Your choice but you could loose the ability to close the camera if the bellows is not flexible enough.

The price of the Linhof bellows will increase 4/1/11 so do be aware that they will be less now.

Carpenter

So it sounds like my only options are to buy new (most likely, not gong to happen) or find a ratty old set from someone and use the frames for the Chinese lookalike, or have western bellows use the frames to fabricate a new set.

For people that have had new bellows made by a third party company for their TK, how many inches did you reduce the bellows by in order for them to fold up with the camera? This assumes that the custom bellows are a single taper design, as a doble taper would require a bit more work and a thinner matrl.
    Considering that the bellows are so easy and quick to change on these cameras, I might not need, or want, the custom bellows to fold with the camera.
    Any opinions on this?

Quote Originally Posted by speedfreak View Post
    So it sounds like my only options are to buy new (most likely, not gong to happen) or find a ratty old set from someone and use the frames for the Chinese lookalike, or have western bellows use the frames to fabricate a new set.

For people that have had new bellows made by a third party company for their TK, how many inches did you reduce the bellows by in order for them to fold up with the camera? This assumes that the custom bellows are a single taper design, as a doble taper would require a bit more work and a thinner matrl.
    Considering that the bellows are so easy and quick to change on these cameras, I might not need, or want, the custom bellows to fold with the camera.
    Any opinions on this?
    Depends on how much movement you would expect to use when the standards are closer together. The TK bellows are extremely flexible.

BTW, the 23 TK bellows is not a double taper and the camera still folds so there is more to it then the double taper.

I use both double taper and single taper with TK's. The double taper is unquestionably handy but expensive new. If you can afford the time you will eventually find one used in good shape. But such a fine camera really deserves an original bellows. Without checking, I think I can use a 75 mm with an OEM single taper and certainly a 90 mm will usually be OK depending on the bellows flex. A chinese lookalike may need to be adapted to the Linhof frames using an intermediate piece of material, so will require a bit of work.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

You could ask Custom Bellows in the UK (formerly Camera Bellows), they make the originals for most manufacturers in Europe. They supply replacements and are usually significantly cheaper than OEM replacements, but you'd need to provide the frames.

Ian

Carpenter

My theory is that with any lens shorter than say, 120mm I can use the bag bellows and then have the standard for 135mm- 400mm. It seems doable to have a standard bellows, single taper, that covers roughly 400mm (plus some, if possible) that can fold into the camera. I'm not concerned at this point being able to use a 65mm with the standard bellow, as I have the bag bellows for anything remotely wide angle.

Sure, someday I'd love to have a factory standard bellows, but at this point I can't drop $700 on it. The bag bellows is nice to have, but I need to have a standard set for all my other lens' longer than 150mm.

Interesting thread. I don't mean to hijack, but a custom made bellows (from, say, custombellows.co.uk) for the 65-240mm range would not cause problems when folding, right? I would 'just' need to provide the frames...

Carpenter

Lightbulb Re: Any alternative Linhof bellows fit Technikardan?

I may be off base but I feel the linhof oem bellows are ridiculously over priced. What are they at currently? $600-700? And Mr. Bob says they are going up in price at the beginning of April. Sure, they are probably some of the best made bellows, but really a couple peices of fabric and two plastic frames for almost a cool G. There's no way.
    With the resale prices of LF cameras these days, mere mortals can actually afford some of these really nice cameras. I don't believe I'm alone in thinking that an affordable bellows for this camera shouldn't be a pipe dream.
    All I need is a bellows that fits my way of shooting. Do I need 480mm of extention and the ability to use a 65mm all in one bellows? Nope. I've got a bag bellows for the short lenses and don't ever really get into situations where I need the crazy extention. What I need varies from others' needs.
    One of the things I love about the LF community is the DIY mentality and the ingenious ways people solve problems with interesting solutions. My problem is I need a bellows for this camera, but don't have close to a thousand dollars to spend on it. I know I'm not alone in this!

Quote Originally Posted by speedfreak View Post
    I may be off base but I feel the linhof oem bellows are ridiculously over priced. What are they at currently? $600-700? And Mr. Bob says they are going up in price at the beginning of April. Sure, they are probably some of the best made bellows, but really a couple peices of fabric and two plastic frames for almost a cool G. There's no way.
    With the resale prices of LF cameras these days, mere mortals can actually afford some of these really nice cameras. I don't believe I'm alone in thinking that an affordable bellows for this camera shouldn't be a pipe dream.
    All I need is a bellows that fits my way of shooting. Do I need 480mm of extention and the ability to use a 65mm all in one bellows? Nope. I've got a bag bellows for the short lenses and don't ever really get into situations where I need the crazy extention. What I need varies from others' needs.
    One of the things I love about the LF community is the DIY mentality and the ingenious ways people solve problems with interesting solutions. My problem is I need a bellows for this camera, but don't have close to a thousand dollars to spend on it. I know I'm not alone in this!
    no, you're not alone in this of course, it's so unnecessarily expensive!
    i'm curious if you already found a solution. i just got my TK yesterday and the first thing i checked was the bellows. it looked like a Christmas tree when i put a light inside. so many holes and cracks all over!
    did you end up buying a generic bellows off the Bay?
    please let me know your solution and experience.