Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wide angle lenses for 2x3/6x9?

Re: Wide angle lenses for 2x3/6x9?

Do you really need to go wider than 65mm. Even with 65mm, the front standard alignment to the back needs to be set with micro precision with the zero detends. Remember this is a medium format camera. Imaging trying to freehand align a lens on a Hasselblad with construction putty and duct tape. That is what it would be like if you view camera has no zero detents.

Horseman 6x9 cameras and lenses are pretty inexpensive. The wide lenses in the system are 90mm, 75mm and 65mm. I got the following for about $1500:

Re: Wide angle lenses for 2x3/6x9?

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Do you really need to go wider than 65mm.
    Its a matter of taste and situation.

My real short lenses for my 2x3 Graphics include 35/4.5 Apo Grandagon, 38/4.5 Biogon (doesn't cover 2x3), 1.75"/2.8 Elcan (doesn't cover), 47/5.6 SA, 58/5.6 Grandagon, 60/5.6 Konica Hexanon (ex-Koni-Omega, covers), and, if its shutter ever comes back from the shop, 60/14 Perigraphe VIa. More about them here: http://www.galerie-photo.com/2-lens-6x9-dan-fromm.html

I use 35, 47, and 60 to good effect in the NJ Pine Barrens, wouldn't use any of 'em for grand scenics in wide open spaces 'cos in that situation one gets mainly uninteresting foreground and is very vulnerable to hazy air. Proof of the propositions is a shot I took with the Biogon of the Mono Lake basin from an overlook on 395.

Oh. Why 60 instead of 58? The 60 Hexanon is good enough and is much easier to mount on the camera than the 58 Grandy. And the Grandy is a #00, needs a locking cable release for focusing. The Hexanon is in a #0 with press focus, so is easier to use. Ease of use is important.

Re the need for precise alignment. Yeah, sure, we all say that. My Graphics don't always deliver it. I still get good results.