Thread: Hooking up my pocket wizard.

Hooking up my pocket wizard.

I am returning to LF after a 30 year hiatus. I was using a 4x5 camera in school. Since then, I have been using 35mm. I use a pocket wizard and strobes for my studio work (no natural light in the studio). To shoot 4x5 again and not having done this before, I just want to make sure that I can hook my Pocket Wizard up to the lenses I am considering buying, namely a Schneider Apo-Symmar f5.6/210 and a Schneider Super Angulon f5.6/90XL. My other question is whether my two Bowens 500W monolights are enough light for portraiture/fashion at 4x5. If I am stopped down to f16 or f22, do I need a 1000W or 1500W monolight? I don't want the movement of the person to cancel out the greater sharpness and detail of the larger format.

Re: Hooking up my pocket wizard.

The PW hooks up to the sync connection on your shutter with a small cord. It should work fine on any modern shutter.The answer to your strobe power question is, it depends ... what is the ISO of the film and how far away from the subject are your lights, and are the lights being modified any (soft box/umbrella/diffusion/etc.)

Yes and maybe. In another thread, you asked about Fotocare. They have a decent selection of Paramount cords, which will help you make the connect from your shutters to the PW or lights.

As for the lights, you won't know until you test. I can get to f16 with two Nikon speedlights on ISO 320 but with the lights right on top of the subject. I think you'll be ok but just start shooting and find out. If you have one, use a DSLR to "preview" your exposure before burning film.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Solow View Post
    My other question is whether my two Bowens 500W monolights are enough light for portraiture/fashion at 4x5.
    Just grab your light meter and measure the lights now. Lighting is lighting, and f/stops are f/stops. If you stop your 35mm down to f/16 or f/22, is that sufficient light now? If it is, you're good to go. If it isn't enough light, then you'll need more light, or use faster film.

Foamer

I think you have enough light to do what you want indoors.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!