Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: There’s nothing photogenic far from your vehicle ― why search?

There’s nothing photogenic far from your vehicle ― why search?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim k View Post
    I read somewhere that there was nothing photogenic more than 5 ft from the parking lot. That seemed pretty reasonable to me.
    I won’t argue about anyone’s belief in this proverb – if it works, it works – but I suspect this is a mangled version of the original? (Tim’s entertaining quote is from the “How do you carry your tripod?” thread.)

Anyone know the actual quote and the source?

I think it was a famous photographer – a clever justification for never traveling too far from the road, if all you want is a “good shot” and you know how to compose...

Or maybe it meant there are always good shots around you, if only you could “see.”

Octogenarian

Re: There’s nothing photogenic far from your vehicle ― why search?

Didn't Edward Weston make that statement?

Hah! That was my first hunch.

Certainly doesn’t sound like the ever-traipsing AA, young or old.

EW, I believe, has had something along this line attributed to him -- something like "There is nothing worthwhile 50 feet from one's car..

Then Ruth Bernard has a quote that goes something along the lines of there being a lifetime of photographs in one's backyard.

And from Ted Orland's list of photographic truths:

"1. The Best Scenic Turnouts are clearly designated by highway signs reading: NO STOPPING ANYTIME."

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

"Anything more than 500 yds from the car just isn't photogenic."
    - Brett Weston

This really depends on the locale, and how much you can pack. Some good things are miles from the road, but in most places, what is beside the road is the same thing that is miles from the road. It just all depends. If you like hiking, have fun. If you don't like hiking, enjoy the drive. If your car is busted, then make some still lifes or bike around the neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    “Anything more than 500 yds from the car just isn’t photogenic.” – Brett Weston
    Yes, that’s it. The “500 yards” makes a little more sense. Still wonder what Brett really meant…

— If you saw nothing in the first 500 yards, you won’t see anything in the next.

— Any 500-yard stretch of landscape is, generally, similar to the next 500-yard stretch.

— The limited gear you can carry beyond 500 yards won’t be enough for the shot.

— After hiking 500 yards, the priority is catching one’s breath – not seeing a shot.

— The shots you take near the car are more “photogenic” than those you can’t take if you’re walking, walking, walking…

— Really, there’s nothing over there. Not then, not now, not later. Trust me on this.

I guess if you are looking to express something within yourself you might not need to walk far.

--Darin

I agree with the sentiment, going far afield to some remote landmark can be interesting but it will just be another generic natural wonder shot like the other millions have done.

I am partial to seeing photos of Alpenglow from a high-up, big-wall, snowy, scary bivouac. As long as I'm not there!

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    I guess if you are looking to express something within yourself you might not need to walk far.

--Darin
    Sometimes you have to go a long way before you meet yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I agree with the sentiment, going far afield to some remote landmark can be interesting but it will just be another generic natural wonder shot like the other millions have done.

I am partial to seeing photos of Alpenglow from a high-up, big-wall, snowy, scary bivouac. As long as I'm not there!
    Ah but they will be different and won't be generic, because *I* took them, and *I* printed them. That may not matter if your goal is to sell prints or impress others, but I shoot and print for myself, and for those close to me, because I enjoy it and find it rewarding.

I have an AA calendar hanging on my wall in my kitchen. But my modest prints I have made and have hanging in my living room have a lot more meaning for me, not because they're even remotely comparable, but because I made them, which makes them special to me. I don't much care if they're special to anyone else.

Obviously I don't necessarily agree with B.W. on this one, but I also agree with those who point out that just because one hikes a long way does not make for a good photo either. There are good photos close by and remote. Take whichever ones you prefer or (as I try to do) some of each.

I personally enjoy walking far beyond my car -- not because the light is better or the scenes are better, but because I find the act of moving through the landscape on foot to be meditative and part of my process of seeing. It is a way of helping my images to be more than another generic natural wonder shot.

I was out in the middle of the Dry Falls area in central Washington last summer with my 8x10 -- the buzz of the insects, the stillness of the air, the 100F+ temperature, the awareness of where I was walking due to rattlesnakes -- all contributed to how I approached the light and forms around me.

Hopefully, this is not another generic natural wonder shot.

Scanned 4x10 carbon print:

Branches, Dry Falls, WA, 2010