Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crumpler Bags?

Crumpler Bags?

I went to order a Domke bag today and the shop is pushing a Crumpler bag.
    Has anyone used these?
    Any good?
    I cant see not sticking with Domke but thought i would ask.

Thanks,

Re: Crumpler Bags?

I have some of both. The Crumplers are well made but a little tight/small for my likes. Domkes seem a little more "old school".

I had one but didn't like it. It wasn't "square" enough for LF gear.
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

The Crumplers I've seen and sold leave something to be desired for the ease of dividing it up and having extra bulk(padding). I haven't been following the stuff lately but Domke has very nice dividers available for their bags.
    I've had my Domke F2 for years.

They look really "hip" and are really well built, but, I'm not a big fan of the function compared to a similar tenba or high end bag (domke) I sold my last one. Plus, they kinda look, well, "metrosexual"

Ross

I can't speak for their camera bags, but I have one which would take a small laptop and extra bits and pieces. My problem with it is that the material from which it is made is extremely sturdy but very abrasive on clothing. It was only when if found wear holes in 2 pairs of jeans at the same place and considered where the Crumpler bag was rubbing that I concluded that the fabric the bag is made from is like sandpaper.

This particular bag also has so much stuffing that it fits rather less inside than outward appearances would suggest.

I had a smaller one that I tried for 35mm once. It was very bulky and over-padded in my opinion. The strap was stiff and as Ross said, the fabric was very abrasive.

I used it on one trip and went back to my Domkes. They're durable, understated and don't add a lot of bulk to your kit.

I use an F803 for 35mm/digital gear and I'm using an F804 now for my 4x5 kit.

I wanted to like Crumpler, I tried a couple of models but they just would not agree with my idea of a good bag.

If you like well-padded bags and don't care if they are a bit too obvious, Kata bags are much better than the Crumplers. They provide much more protection and much more configurability.

Personally, I like Tenba bags the best overall.

I guess I'm in the minority in that I love Crumpler bags. I have a bunch, 4 of which are camera bags. A big part of the reason why I like them is, like others have mentioned, they are incredibly durable. One of the backpacks I have I've taken traveling with me all over the place. It's been with me on beaches, boats, caves, me crawling around floors, etc... and it still looks almost as good as the day I bought it. And if it wears down under normal use, send it back to Crumpler and they'll repair it for the cost of shipping.

I do agree with what others have said though: for the money, there are better options available in terms of functionality and space. Since they are well padded (read: bulky), they're probably not well suited for large format as they are 35mm/medium format/digital.
    Derrick. My name is Derrick.

flickr :: Photoblog

Thanks guys,
    I will stick with Domke.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Chambers View Post
    .....the material from which it is made is extremely sturdy but very abrasive on clothing...... I concluded that the fabric the bag is made from is like sandpaper.
    Domke is hard on the clothing too, most my pants show the signs of having the canvass rub on my right side. But even close to being that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by brian mcweeney View Post
    ....Domkes seem a little more "old school".
    Cool, cause I am Old School too.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah A View Post

They're durable, understated and don't add a lot of bulk to your kit..
    That was what made me buy my first Domke 20 or so yrs ago. :-)