Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to soften or diffuse a lens

How to soften or diffuse a lens

So, how do you kids create a diffused or soft filter effect using household items? Any advice or tips?

Please, no vaseline or saliva.

Joe

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: How to soften or diffuse a lens

Stretching a nylon stocking or similar material over the front of the lens is one historically-accepted way of doing it. Vaseline is another (sorry!), but do it on a UV filter, not the lens!

But be aware that, while such methods might give a pleasing result, they do not duplicate the look of a genuine soft-focus lens.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Man oh man, you just gotta take all of the fun out of it! Next you won't want to use pantyhose over the lens, either. (What do you think is in those soft net filters, anyways?)

I just got through emailing a fellow about the Fuji diffusion discs for their lens. The discs go inside the lens, between the front element and the shutter. I just finished looking at my lenses, and their is plenty of space in there for an insert. The diffusion disc has a large hole in the center, surrounded by smaller holes. It should work similarly for other lenses, too. I suppose that it would take some of the mystique out of it if the discs were marketed seperately for various shutter sizes.

You can also take a straight glass filter and have some fun with it. Anything that distorts the image is fair game.

Big Negs Rock!

Vaseline is not optically clear, KY Jelly (non-flavored) is optically clear. It's true.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    Man oh man, you just gotta take all of the fun out of it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woods View Post
    Vaseline is not optically clear, KY Jelly (non-flavored) is optically clear. It's true.
    Well, somebody's putting the fun back into it!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Thanks for the tip Mark :l

You can also do up a uv filter with polka-dots of clear nail polish...a crude imitation of a Softar. Or you can buy a Real Softar filter.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Plus it is a lot easier to clean off. Almost impossible to completely clean vaseline from edges of the filter

Focus the lens then unscrew the front element 1/8 to 1/4 turn. Don't re-focus

You want it sharp and soft or just fuzzy soft? With halation or without? besides the diffusion itself lighting is a major player in soft focus. Strong, directional lighting rather then soft diffused lighting is required along with strong lighting ratios like 5:1 rather then 3:1. It is the spectral highlights that create the halation.

If you want it sharp yet diffused don't forget to make a hole in the center. Try different size holes with different lighting ratios. Or just buy a Zeiss Softar 1 or 2 if you can find one that fits or a Duto type diffusion filter (the kind made with concentric rings). The non Zeiss Softar copies simply do not work as well as the Softar. The big advantage to using the Softar is that the effect does not cheange with aperture like it does with other soft focus type attachments.

The big caveat with soft focus is what diffuses into what. When you use a true soft focus lens like an Imagon the highlights diffuse into the shadows. When you use a soft focus lens or stocking or spread stuff on a filter the effect is different. the shadows diffuse into the highlights so you never truly duplicate the effect of the soft focus lens itself.