Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: LF hikers ― is “Map & Compass” a dying art?

Re: LF hikers ― is “Map & Compass” a dying art?

Quote Originally Posted by NancyP View Post
    I get to be pretty lazy - my magnetic declination is between -1 and +1 degrees for 99.9% of my hikes in eastern Missouri and southwestern Illinois.
    Lucky you, you're talking about that bold black line below (source: NOAA, 2010).

It's pretty bad around here in the PNW, no chance to be lazy.

But that pales in comparison w/ what our igneous geology can do. In many areas, declination doesn't have a chance. When it does, "East is least, West is best"! (When I was a kid, I thought that was a moral judgment, not just compass talk.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NOAA map.jpg  

Drew Wiley

Get old enough and the magnetic pole will have drifted into your backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Get old enough and the magnetic pole will have drifted into your backyard.

Not mine, continental drift will take it far away by then.

A clean get-away!

Drew Wiley

Look up paleo-remnant magnetism. It's method for dating ancient kilns, and has been used in relation to Anaszi ruins. When the clay is fired, certain particles realigned toward the contemporaneous magnetic pole. By seeing where the particles point, the position of the magnetic pole at that time can be determined.
    In other words, the magnetic pole moves about must faster than continental drift. But if you have to take both into account, I'll also have to ask you what brand
    of sheet film you used in Gondwanaland.

Jmarmck, Tim Ernst has done a great service to the Arkansas Ozarks region with his series of guidebooks. I am still working through "60 hikes within 60 miles of St. Louis" guidebook, but after I have familiarized myself with these areas and with some other national forests and national fish and wildlife refuges in MO, the Southern IL Shawnee National Forest and Arkansas Buffalo River and the Ozark and Ouachita National Forests are next.

2 Bit Hack

Quote Originally Posted by NancyP View Post
    Jmarmck, Tim Ernst has done a great service to the Arkansas Ozarks region with his series of guidebooks. I am still working through "60 hikes within 60 miles of St. Louis" guidebook, but after I have familiarized myself with these areas and with some other national forests and national fish and wildlife refuges in MO, the Southern IL Shawnee National Forest and Arkansas Buffalo River and the Ozark and Ouachita National Forests are next.
    Well I might not live in Arkansas any more but my heart is still there. I was born and raise there and still am a resident in a disconnected sort of way. I love the Buffalo particularly the Ponca area down to Jasper. That is where most of the white water is located. But I spent a lot of time around a host town called Rush. Zinc was mined there in the early half of 1900. It is the last take out point before the confluence with the White River below Bull Shoals Dam. But there are many areas in the northern part of the state worth of a good hike with a 4x5 camera. Contact me when you get around to visiting that region. I might be able to offer some advice.

If you like to float and fish there is a small river called the Kings. It is locally well known for the small mouth bass.