Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: LF hikers ― is “Map & Compass” a dying art?

Re: LF hikers ― is “Map & Compass” a dying art?

I know how to orient with map and compass. All I need is my Silva, a good map, and a Rosary, and I'm good to go.

Need to know true North from your part of the country though.

Mountain navigation training for me was an integral part of the Seattle Mountaineers climbing course in 1970. I have no desire to carry modern electronic gadgetry, because that training has always seen me through even the most dire conditions. I carry topo maps (that’s plural) of appropriate scale for the outing, Silva Ranger compass, and never without the altimeter. At times even 10X binoculars for route finding. Here’s an abbreviated story that some may find interesting:

Mid 70s, early in the year after winter of heavy snow, nice day, “hiking” with two buddies (overnight gear not for technical climbing).
    Goal: Mt. Daniel (WA), close to 8000 ft, not a particularly challenging mountain, except for the few summit peaks (not the goal).
    Attached image of east side (internet image, not mine). My pics from this outing not great.
    http://www.summitpost.org/images/medium/711817.jpg

Approach from the steeper north side.
    Approaching 7200 ft, very steep/stable snow slope, STRONG steady updraft hits, whiteout sets in, zero visibility. It’s true – mountains make their own weather.
    Finally, a fairly level “bench” with boulders all around, drop the external-frame Kelty packs, one man to a boulder for windbreak, holler to communicate.
    “WHERE THE HELL ARE WE?” “DAMNED IF I KNOW, CAN’T SEE A THING!
    Gotta orient map, damned compass is going crazy … swinging every which way. Is this what hell is like? No, too friggin’ cold for that! Oh, what’s this? Rocks have funny orange streaks all over them… IRON, MAGNETIC! No wonder compass is crazy, gotta get away from these rocks for a reading, there that’s better. Ah, can get oriented now. Hope the barometer hasn’t changed much since the last altimeter check down lower.
    What’s that? Blue sky, small opening in whiteout, oops it’s gone, what did I just see? A small buttress through the opening? Check map closely, a little wiggle in the contour line just above us - about an eighth-inch wiggle, could that be what I saw, another opening, yeah that’s IT!
    “OK, GUYS, IT’S LESS THAN A HUNDRED YARDS TO THE RIDGE, THAT WAY, AND WE COULD BE OVER TO THE OTHER SIDE AND OUT OF THIS, LET’S GO.”
    Sure enough, whew, “I’m hungry and a bit parched.” “Yeah, me too, let’s eat.”
    Last edited by Jerry Bodine; 2-May-2012 at 17:03.

Drew Wiley

I'm getting inspired. Think I'll start my own roadside gear stand and sell compasses with
    a little magnet hidden inside. Easier than printing fictitious topo maps.

I think it's ironic that I take very few pictures during these life-threatening trips ... When they are the very experience I am looking to photograph ...

I don't know if anybody mentioned this mundane reason to bring along map and compass: It is easier to caption your landscapes when you can clearly identify the peaks. (Assuming you don't use GPS).

If I am an expert at anything, it is cross country hiking with topographic maps. Been an avid backpacker for 4 decades. For years I have usually hiked in unfamiliar ares while holding my maps in front of me. I almost always am aware of where I am on a crosscountry route especially on steep slope routes where being a bit off will land one in unpleasant class 3 and worse exposures. In the West one can usually see the terrain. So I rarely need to use a compass much less GPS except when in deeper forest where one cannot see landmarks. I also frequently night hike with headlamps and that is where I also always have my compass out in front of me. Obviously GPS would make nighthiking especially crosscountry easier at night.

I find maps useful in planning any trip to unfamiliar territory, especially in urban jungles. I sure don't want to get lost there!

I have used a Silva Ranger as well for many years. They are a wonderful sighting compass. You set a bearing and hold the compass at arms length and look through the mirror to the matched needle. I was trained to use it in search and rescue training in the 1970's, with a good topo map they are very useful.

We still teach our Boy Scouts map and compass. The Army still teaches map & compass(at least when I was wearing fatigues.) Why would it be considered out dated? My real Swiss Army compass (with the mirror that hung below the bezel so you could read the direction when you took a sighting) just started loosing fluid after 25 years.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I don't think it's a dying art at all amongst those who go into the woods further than a trail takes them. I do think fewer people are going places where they might get lost, though. There's a whole lot of walking on fire roads and thinking it's some wild backcountry exploration.

Drew Wiley

I have no problem in the woods or mtns, but I do get lost in Costco.