Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on digital sensor size vs film format

Re: Your thoughts on digital sensor size vs film format

Instead of wasting time with a pointless ontological debate, why not just shoot with what you like?

Quote Originally Posted by jb7 View Post
    My monitor is 94 dpi.
    Do I need a bigger camera?
    Yes. One always needs a bigger camera.
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

Although, more seriously, I think Don may be asking a slightly different question--here's my re-phrasing: Are certain kinds of digital capture near enough to LF (in terms of the physical size of the behind-the-lens area captured, not output resolution, etc.) to warrant equal participation on this board?

--Darin

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dudenbostel View Post
    Do we need to rethink the definition of LF in the digital age?
    Eventually we will. Photographers such as Charles Cramer already have. If you ever see any of his work you will be impressed. Christopher Burkett's Ilfochrome prints are beautiful and quite different that Cramer's prints but it's amazing to see what these digital backs can do in the hands of a skilled practitioner.

Don Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    Are certain kinds of digital capture near enough to LF (in terms of the physical size of the behind-the-lens area captured, not output resolution, etc.) to warrant equal participation on this board?
    No. Period.

I doubt any moderator would disagree with me.

If the sensors ever reach 4x5, we may have more discussion, but until then, it's not an issue. Digital is just not large format.

If the sensors ever reach 4x5, we may have more discussion, but until then, it's not an issue. Digital is just not large format.
    Betterlight has made 4x5 digital backs for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stahlke View Post
    My computer has four 3.5 inch disk drives for a total capacity of 14 inches. I guess it's time to upgrade.
    You can stitch them together. I suggest using an industrial sewing thread.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Syverson View Post
    No. Period.

I doubt any moderator would disagree with me.
    I'm some people here may be unsophisticated enough to be moved by proof-by-assertion, but no one who's opinions you might care about.

I don't believe for half a second you've examined the best of what's possible from high end digital camera backs. Everyone I know who has done so disagrees with you quite emphatically.

At this point in history each technology offers a different set of strengths and weaknesses, including looking better at different size ranges. But they are in the same room, and in terms of look and quality would stand as reasonable alternatives for a good number of photographers.

I suspect that for most photographers, the deciding factors would be price and workflow rather than print quality.

Preston Birdwell

If there was an affordable and 'field capable' 4x5 digital capture system that meets or exceeds the quality I require, I would do it. With color films becoming less and less available, and the cost of processing continuing to rise, a high quality digital system would be more cost effective.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    If there was an affordable and 'field capable' 4x5 digital capture system that meets or exceeds the quality I require, I would do it. With color films becoming less and less available, and the cost of processing continuing to rise, a high quality digital system would be more cost effective.
    "Affordable" is always subjective and situational. From my perspective, nothing is close to affordable, yet. But people getting paid, or working with much higher volumes of images, will judge this differently.

No digital backs are 4x5, although the highest end backs compete easily with 4x5 quality, based on what I've seen. Plenty of solutions are field capable, depending on what you mean by 'field.' If you're going to be without access to electrical power for weeks on end, you might be better served by something all mechanical. If I had to go on a backpacking weekend with a camera, most of the digital technical cameras would be more appealing than my own fairly burly 4x5.