Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What did I do wrong here? Light Leak in holder or lens flare?

Re: What did I do wrong here? Light Leak in holder or lens flare?

Leaks in holders will always show at the edge of the image. There's no way for there to be a leak in the middle of the image and not along the side. The light would travel in from the edge with a holder leak, so the streak you're showing in the first image cannot be from the holder.

It doesn't look like lens flare either, which happens in round shapes typically, and also is usually found at an edge. The shadows don't suggest that the camera was looking that closely into the sun anyway/

This looks to me like a seating problem with your back or bellows.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

i think it's just careless withdraw or replace of the darkslide ,, we have all done it!

pinch the holder inside the spring back when you remove and replace the darkslide ..

this will keep the holder from moving around while you perform this task.

this is never a problem with the Hostilux

I might guess a possibility. As you reinserted the dark slide, you added some back pressure, cracking the light seal just a touch to fog the exposed film. Dark slide partially inserted would cover film area to left (right side of camera).

The spring tension on some cameras is not stout enough to prevent heavy handling from the photographer.

What camera are you using?

Bob

Octogenarian

Now that the OP has revealed (see post#7) that this problem occurred with more than one film holder, it reduces (but does not eliminate) the possibility of lens flare or a faulty holder.

Since the leak is at the sides and not at the ends, it doesn't look like operator error while inserting or removing the film holder or dark slide.

If the camera has an interchangeable bellows, check to make sure that it is seated and fastened properly.

If the bellows is not interchangeable, and has no leaks, check the felt baffle in the camera surrounding the opening where the holder seats when it is inserted under the ground glass. A piece of felt could be missing preventing a light tight seal.

Octogenarian

Hey Bob,

We posted at the same time.

Thought you'd be out shooting this morning.

I'm in lazy mode today. I'm typing this on ipad in bed. I may just stay here all day.

Zzzzzzz

B

Thumbs up Re: What did I do wrong here? Light Leak in holder or lens flare?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M Hostetter View Post
    i think it's just careless withdraw or replace of the darkslide ,, we have all done it!

pinch the holder inside the spring back when you remove and replace the darkslide ..

this will keep the holder from moving around while you perform this task.

this is never a problem with the Hostilux
    I think this was my issue, I will find out tomorrow when I shoot/develop and test the back, bellows and holders for any problems.

Thanks again.

I think you have two problems here. The diagonal streak in the upper right looks like it has come through the holder flap.

The large vertical streak is strongest at the top suggesting that it came up through the bottom of the camera.

I had a similar problem for a couple of years after I had replaced the bellows and glued them in with Pliobond. I had applied good pressure and believed that I had a good seal. But I still had this nagging problem of a light leak that I couldn't place.

It was never a problem indoors and only an intermittent problem outdoors, even in strong sunlight. I did the flashlight test time after time, but it all looked good.

Not until I had some negatives with streaks indicating that the strength of the leak was coming from the bottom of the camera did I get a clue. I did the flashlight test once again and found light leaking out at the bottom where the bellows were attached to the back. It was not obvious from the other tests because the leak was inside the housing.

From the problem negatives and reconstructing the occasions where the leaks were a problem, it was usually in bright sunlight at times when the dark slide had been pulled during a longer wait, either for the light to change, or someone to get out of my way, or giving instructions to a model.

It turns out that Pliobond, while making a strong bonded seal, transmits light. I used some Brush-On Electrical Tape, recommended by someone on another thread, to cover over the Pliobond. So far everything has been working well.

With the flashlight test it can be easy to overlook a leak inside the housing because it is difficult to look in there. Not until I pulled the back out on the Technika was I able to see light coming out from around the bellows.
    al

looks like light leaks somewhere around where the film holder sits in the back of the camera.

There's the obvious big leak vertically across the frame left of centre but there's also smaller slanting leaks at both top corners. They suggest the film is in the holder and within the camera. I have a tachihara that I won't use anymore as it does this all the time because the back is defective.

There's a small mark at bottom left corner that must be unrelated... probably something in the darkroom like a hanging clip?

If you've had no leak in any other exposures it might be as simple as the film holder not being properly pushed into place in the film back on that shot. I've had that a few times with my linhof and speed graphic when I was being careless.

It could be an actual probem with the back that isn't showing up every time for one of any number of reasons.... like: whether you've got the sun directly on the camera, whether the holders have some play within the camera back and their position varies, how long you've had the dark slides out of the holder, whether you've left the dark cloth over the camera when the dark slides are out etc etc.

it's also possibly that one holder is a bit warped and that makes it more twitchy than the others and more prone to leak if there's any underlying issue with the camera back.

can I suggest you look very carefully at the camera back where the film holder seat and check for any warps etc. Then look at the holders for any warping. Then check for leaks around the back with your best holder in place same as checking for bellows leaks ie get in a darkened room with a torch. If there's any play in the holder wiggle it around a bit to see if there's some positions that open up a leak. If the back comes right off the camera that'll make it easier to check that mating area.

I did this with the Tachi and the rotten thing showed light leaking at multiple points around the back when the holders were in place and it varied as the holders moved around [and there was quite a bit of excessive play]

addit: I don't think I've managed to open up a light leak from pulling / replacing the dark slides as yet but I'm definitely aware of finding the holder being skew in the back and I'm sure it was never in the correct place to begin with.

This reminds me of a problem I had had with my Tachihara, though I can't say I've 100% eliminated every last issue, but I think I found my major culprit.

This was hard for me to actually find, but looking into the camera with the film-holder in place, I noticed a couple spots where the glossy finish of the camera came through inside, where it should have been flat black.

That little strip of red paint was reflecting stray light onto the film, creating similar-looking flares. I bought some matte black paint from a craft store and painted over the gloss.... it mostly did the trick. It can't hurt, anyway.

EDIT: If nothing else, this is yet another way to trouble shoot your camera (looking in, towards the seated film-holder)
    Last edited by MumbleyJoe; 26-Feb-2011 at 21:02. Reason: added addotional thought.