Thread: Sedona B&W photographers/Filters

Sedona B&W photographers/Filters

I'm going to Sedona for a week at the end of march. I will be shooting 4x5 tmax 400. I usually use an orange filter to help darken the sky a bit. But I'm wandering if that would cause the redrock to be become a bit washed out if it is being hit with strong sunlight. So I was considering using a green filter instead. I know the effect on the sky would not be as great as the orange but would help a bit. I also know the best way to find out is to do some tests but since this is a visit I'm not going to be able to do that in advance. So I'm asking any B&W photographers from the area what they would recommend. Thanks.
    Rich

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Re: Sedona B&W photographers/Filters

Please see my post on this subject on APUG.org.

Steve
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

If your primary aim is to darken the sky, the first filter to try is a polarizer and then if that is still not good enough, you can add a yellow filter over it.

Just be aware that the angle between the sun, yourself and the subject determines the strength of the polarization. You want to maintain it at 90 degrees or as close to it as possible for the strongest effect.

A polarizer has no effect on tonality, but it does have a huge effect on reflections - this is also the reason why foliage can appear more saturated in color or darker in B&W when shot through a polarizing filter.

Preston Birdwell

Another thing to bear in mind is that if you are using a wide lens with a polarizer, the sky may be darker on one side of the scene than the other. The green filter may be helpful to lighten foliage; this could be a nice effect.

Have fun on your trip!

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Filter effects are not always predictable. At least in terms of what works with a subject in terms of the finished picture, as opposed to textbook rules. So I'd shoot one side of the holder with an orange filter and the second side with a #11 and decide later which looks best. In fact the contrasty light of the high-altitude West might make a #15 too extreme, depending on how you like your prints. When I've been there I've never thought of a #11, an 8 and a 12 were what I used most of the time... a green filter sounds like an interesting idea.

Hi Rich, I use an orange filter just as you suggest in similar geography as Sedona and haven't experienced blowing out the red rocks. It does darken the shadows a bit so beware. IME, the effect of the orange filter is more noticeable especially in the sky when I use efke 100 as compared to tmax. The foliage is pretty drab in the desert, so I wouldn't worry about the green filter having much effect on anything except the sky, unless you are in wildflower season.
    enjoy the trip
    regards
    Erik