Page 38 of 69 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Cars, Trucks and Motorcycles

Re: Old Cars, Trucks and Motorcycles

Not my typical photo, but I wanted to give this lens a whirl on 8x10. This is my 8 3/4 inch Verito, stuck on my Wehman 8x10. I was curious to see the results. The lens is a bit long for me on 4x5, but a moderate wide on 8x10. It shouldn't "cover" but hey surprise it does, more or less (no debates on lp/mm in the corners, please, for obvious reasons).

I might need to pack this lens next time I'm shooting 8x10 and try a landscape with it.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Not my typical photo, but I wanted to give this lens a whirl on 8x10. This is my 8 3/4 inch Verito, stuck on my Wehman 8x10. I was curious to see the results. The lens is a bit long for me on 4x5, but a moderate wide on 8x10. It shouldn't "cover" but hey surprise it does, more or less (no debates on lp/mm in the corners, please, for obvious reasons).

I might need to pack this lens next time I'm shooting 8x10 and try a landscape with it.
    Interesting because my earlier version 9" which is physically longer, more proportioned like a petzval really does NOT cover the 8X10 or even full plate. Nice shot.

Thanks Jim. Hmm, now that's a mystery. Does your 9" vignette on 8x10 (black corners I mean)?

This old thread hotly debated the coverage of the 9":
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...fused-Focus-F4

Obviously in the image above, the corners are getting swirly and extremely distorted. I would never argue this covers 8x10 properly. But it could be interesting to use.

Was there any kind of design changes in the Verito? I don't know much about the history.

The early lenses were in longer barrels it seems to me. That would cut into coverage. And since the front lens is just a modifier I guess it wouldn't change much to move it around. I'll check that lens later today. I remember a month or so ago being sort of dis-appointed it didn't cover full plate. But I'll walk out and double check.

Thanks Jim. Hmm, now that's a mystery. Does your 9" vignette on 8x10 (black corners I mean)?

This old thread hotly debated the coverage of the 9":
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...fused-Focus-F4

Obviously in the image above, the corners are getting swirly and extremely distorted. I would never argue this covers 8x10 properly. But it could be interesting to use.

Was there any kind of design changes in the Verito? I don't know much about the history.

Hi Bryan,

Lens coverage is evaluated at infinity focus.

Your truck photo (which I like) is obviously much closer, so larger image circle.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Before I went out and took the photo, I did look at the lens on the 8x10 GG focused at infinity, to see if it was even worth it to try - and it does illuminate the corners even then. I thought it was going to be vignetted to black. Image quality of course is a different story and I think that Wollensak's suggested format for the 8 3/4 being 5x7 is probably the limit where the lens doesn't have swirly stuff and excessive distortion in the image. But it does throw an image onto the glass/film and I think especially with a SF or special effect lens such as the Verito one can decide to use the lens as such if they want that effect. Next thing to try is just the rear element which is a 14" lens, on my 8x20...

I would love a true moderate-wide (around 120mm in 4x5 or 240mm in 8x10) with a nice SF effect but no swirly aberrations like seen in the corners above. But I don't know of any. There's only a few SF lenses I've seen that I really like the results of and unfortunately most of them are way outside my ability to buy. I do like swirly corners sometimes but I find it restricts compositions so as not to impact the main subject(s).

Thanks.

Just like the images. Keep up the good work. Thanks in advance.
    Clipping Path service

Blair Detective 1893 RR Moab Valley by rrunnertexas, on Flickr

Blair Hawkeye detective camera on 4x5. Road Runner in Utah, scenic byway.

I've only shot about 20 sheets of large format color film. Here's on of them. It's the hood and radiator area of an old Ford truck.

Toyo AX, 210 Fujinon.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Nice photo. You don’t happen to have a photo of the whole truck do you? This looks suspiciously like the radiator cover on my father in law’s 1937 Ford Pu.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---