Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Pre-Soak Needed with Small tanks?

Is Pre-Soak Needed with Small tanks?

I'm about to develop my first sheets of Tri-X in a CombiPlan tank. I've read the Kodak information sheet on the film and the only reference to pre-wetting the film is for sheets in trays. Admittedly most of the document appears to be written for roll film.

Should I (or must I) pre-wet the film before adding the chemicals into the CombiPlan?

Incidentally, another set of instructions (for the tank) suggest adding the film into the tank with the developer already in the tank, which would seem to negate the pre-soak step.

Thanks

Re: Is Pre-Saok Needed with Small tanks?

This is one of personal choice questions. I use a Combiplan and pre-wetting isn't ever 'required' for any development that I know. I do how ever do it whether it's 35mm in small tanks or 4x5 in the Combi. Helps get rid of the dye and works for me. Others will surely disagree, but that's OK.

It's probably not necessary, but I do it. It helps get everything the right temperature, and I like to see the pretty colors come out afterwards.

Drew Wiley

I always presoak all types of film, all methods of development. I believe it helps keep
    the temp more accurate in a tank or drum by preheating it internally with the correct
    water temp, and with all methods, allows the dev to spread more evenly and quickly.

I personally regard it as a matter of personal preference although a couple of European film makers strongly recommend it.

When I always pre-soak, it is because I'm using film drums and the reason is that I fill drums with film inside all the way up in order to temperature control the film, reels, and drums, after 3 or 4 minutes, I dump the water and add the deeloper.

Lynn

I always pre-soak both roll & sheet film (tanks & trays) since I started to process in PMK more than 15 years ago. I now use Pyrocat HD and still presoak.

I always pre-soak, both roll and sheet films.

It expands the emulsion and stabilizes the film temperature.

Just personal preference. Been doing it that way over 50 years with no problems.

- Leigh

I have never had a problem with an errant air bubble since starting with a presoak. In addition to all the other positive attributes mentioned.

I use tanning and staining developers (Pyrocat HD and Prescysol). In both cases a pre soak is recommended to promote even development. However when using Rodinal at 1:50 when I develop Adox CHS 100 I do not presoak.

Having read Ilford's data sheets for HP5+ I know that they say that you should not pre soak as, according to them, it can cause uneven development.

The only times I have had uneven development using my current methods is when I have been less than careful with agitation.

Ok. Seems like a pre soak could be helpful. Since it's not mentioned in the data sheets, I'll ask: how long should I pre soak for? 5 minutes?