Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epson v700 vs. v750?

Epson v700 vs. v750?

Has anyone used both?
    On paper they appear almost identical, with a price difference of +/- $150.
    Any advantages or disadvantages to either?
    Thanks in advance.

Octogenarian

Re: Epson v700 vs. v750?

The V 700 and the V750 are identical.The V750 comes with a glass tray for wet mounting. However, the tray is not quite large enough to accommodate an 8x10 negative.

8x10 negatives can be scanned directly on the glass of either model.

When doing so, I recommend purchasing a sheet of anti-Newton glass to hold the 8x10 negative flat.

Better scanning software comes with the V750. Worth the extra cost.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    ..... When doing so, I recommend purchasing a sheet of anti-Newton glass to hold the 8x10 negative flat.
    Is there a good source for the AN glass? Do you use 8x10 AN glass or slightly larger?

The V750 has additional coatings on the lens. I use both scanners for work and for pleasure and can safely say that the vast majority of people won't be able to tell the difference in scans from one machine to another.

Kami mounting fluid is available in the US through Aztec, and it works with both the V700 and V750 without any problems. You can also order the Liquid Scanning mount as a part directly from epson for less than the difference in cost between the two scanners. #1437629

I haven't used the packaged software for either scanner, Silverfast all the way.

Either way, their both excellent scanners, but are a little long in the tooth. It wouldn't surprise me if Epson had a refresh in the pipe.
    www.sssargent.com

Octogenarian

Hi Jim,

Anti-Newton glass can be purchased from Focal Point, in Florida--

www.fpointinc.com

Get the 2mm thickness, slightly larger than 8x10. Just make sure it isn't too large to fit on top of the scanner glass.

SSSargent,

Your post would seem to imply that the liquid scanning mount can be used on the 700. I seem to recall reading that it could not be used on the v700. Can you, or others, advise with certainty that the liquid scanning mount can be used on the 700?

Kind regards,

Have you ever thought of searching the archives? This topic has been discussed to death over the years.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Have you ever thought of searching the archives? This topic has been discussed to death over the years.
    I understand, somewhat, your comment ... but I don't agree with its obvious intent. I even was the original poster of a similar discussion on the 700/750 question back on 1/30/2009. But that was two years ago.

And I still dropped in on this thread to read any new or different opinions. One of the posts in this thread prompted two new questions from me about AN glass sources and dimensions. Sure ... I could have gone back through the archives and searched for AN glass threads but I had someone active in this thread who had some knowledge I could plumb ... and I got an almost immediate response that was very useful to me.

I think that's the value of this being a "forum" and not a repository.

Since we’re burning bandwidth – I have followed the threads and sometime back did a search of the archives - albeit not in the last month or two (my Expression 1600 is still hanging in - except for the transparency lid giving problems and I’m holding off on the 700/750 for as long as I can). My recollection was that there was some conflicting information. Given that at least two of the posters seemed to be well versed with the equipment, with one having used, or currently using, both of the units, it seemed an appropriate time to get a simple yes or no answer from someone who would seem to know.

Thank you for taking the time to answer…