Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camera Club NY

Camera Club NY

Does anyone have experience with Camera Club NY, a co-op darkroom in NYC?

They run classes on development and printing. I was thinking of dipping my toes with a class and renting time in the darkroom before commiting to purchase equipment. Looking for feedback and experiences before signing up.

Re: Camera Club NY

I have no experience with the CCNY and I am posting to keep the thread alive, hoping that someone will give us some insight into the place.

I have thought about it over the years until I put together a darkroom at work (a school). The cost of membership is what held me back.

I would like to think that it might be a place with a good atmosphere to work in, share ideas with other like-minded photographers...

I visited the place yesterday. It's basically an office/loft that's been divided into studio and darkroom space. Nice enough physical plant and convenient to Penn Station for commuters like me. My concern is whether the people there are knowledgable and friendly and whether it's worth taking classes there (they have an intro to darkroom workshop for around $400 or pvt darkroom lessons at $70). I'd like a little coaching in how to print and use an enlarger at some point and since I don't have space for this stuff right now thought a temporary membership might be worthwhile.

The fact that no-one has replied might be telling, since I know their are forum members living in the city. Maybe they just use a commercial lab.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Kerner View Post
    I visited the place yesterday. It's basically an office/loft that's been divided into studio and darkroom space. Nice enough physical plant and convenient to Penn Station for commuters like me. My concern is whether the people there are knowledgable and friendly and whether it's worth taking classes there (they have an intro to darkroom workshop for around $400 or pvt darkroom lessons at $70). I'd like a little coaching in how to print and use an enlarger at some point and since I don't have space for this stuff right now thought a temporary membership might be worthwhile.

The fact that no-one has replied might be telling, since I know their are forum members living in the city. Maybe they just use a commercial lab.
    Thanks for bringing this up. I looked at this place online a couple years ago, and later completely forgot about it and I never checked it out. I'd be interested in looking into it more as well.

I have no information to offer you about the CCNY, but I do use the rental darkroom services of Print Space. They are easily accessible via a short subway ride (#1 downtown train from Penn Station to 18th Street). I am not sure if they offer darkroom classes, but you can call them and ask. I am mentioning this place because I like their services, and the folks are very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay Sen View Post
    I have no information to offer you about the CCNY, but I do use the rental darkroom services of Print Space. They are easily accessible via a short subway ride (#1 downtown train from Penn Station to 18th Street). I am not sure if they offer darkroom classes, but you can call them and ask. I am mentioning this place because I like their services, and the folks are very nice.
    Thank you. I've seen Print Space's webpage but never saw anything about classes. When it comes to enlarging and printing, I know I'll progress faster with a bit of coaching. I'll give them a call and see if they do teaching or who they suggest.

Glad to hear positive feedback about them.

Another approach would be to take a darkroom class elsewhere (ICP has excellent instructors) and then rent darkroom time wherever it's more convenient to you.

Taking a class will definitely speed things up. I wish I had when I started out: learning on your own takes longer and is more expensive as well - I can attest to to both.

For anyone tracking this thread, here's an update:

I visited Print Space and would have to say the environment is nice. Nicer than Camera Club in the sense that there were actually people in the place doing work, compared to being desolate. The staff was very pleasant and offered to help me make my first print when I'm ready. They also offered some resources to find classes. When the time comes, I'll probably use Print Space.

Also happens to be next door to a kick-ass bike shop, if you're into cycling.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Kerner View Post
    For anyone tracking this thread, here's an update:

I visited Print Space and would have to say the environment is nice. Nicer than Camera Club in the sense that there were actually people in the place doing work, compared to being desolate. The staff was very pleasant and offered to help me make my first print when I'm ready. They also offered some resources to find classes. When the time comes, I'll probably use Print Space.

Also happens to be next door to a kick-ass bike shop, if you're into cycling.
    Very helpful. Thank you to you and Sanjay for the info here. I am going to check this place out as well.

P.S. I hope I don't impulse-buy a bike while I'm there... I've been contemplating one!

Print Space's location is also nice - it's just a few blocks from Adorama and Calumet, where you can pick up paper and chems in case you need some at short notice.

They also let you bring in your own chems, which is what I do because I had already settled on a work-flow when I had my own bath/darkroom. They offer Sprint chemistry, as well as Dektol mixed as per your requirements. I think the Dektol is just a couple of bucks extra.