Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When framing pictures do you use glass or not....

Out of Plumb

When framing pictures do you use glass or not....

If you do, what kind do you like?
    Paul Ward

First real camera: Nikon F2, gift from gandfather (1980), still have and use it.
    Wista m45 4x5
    Calumet Green Monster
    Agfa 8x10 Field Camera

“A big negative is really a positive…”

Octogenarian

Re: When framing pictures do you use glass or not....

Years ago, I used glass for framing prints.

Glass is heavy weight, especially for large prints. A valuable prized print was lost because the hangers broke under the weight, the glass splintered, and the print was ruined.

In another incident, a glass framed print was destroyed because the glass shattered and the print was severely damaged during a move.

Since then, I have been using Plexiglass (acrylic) from Amarican Frame. It's lighter weight and less breakable. It's also available in UV and glare-proof versions.

www.americanframe.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post

Since then, I have been using Plexiglass (acrylic) from Amarican Frame. It's lighter weight and less breakable. It's also available in UV and glare-proof versions.

www.americanframe.com
    Ditto. They also have good prices on bulk framing materials.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I still use glass but only 11x14 and smaller. Some of my older 20x24 are with glass, but for the last decade or so I've opted for plexi for the larger sizes.

Ansel wrote that photographers shouldn't use Plexiglas because its a gas that gives off harmful vapors, or something like that. I, too, lost a print to glass damage... I imagine more prints have been damaged by real glass than plastic glass.

I still have about 20 framed prints from a 1985 exhibition of mine. I used the UF3 (?) light protective Plexiglas, and I'm still bugged by the color -- it isn't clear, there is a yellowish tinge.

I recently mounted several 20x30 color prints to foam core using a heat press and framed them in a plain metal frame with no Matt or glass/acrylic. I sprayed the prints with moab print protector. There is little to no reflection which really makes them pop and of course they are very light to carry. Of course this is not for every print, but it went down really well at a few art shows I did recently.

I think it would be cool to dry mount onto aluminum. Haven't done it myself yet. They do it for large prints for museum shows sometimes.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Thanks for mentioning American Frame. I'll check it out.

There used to be a company called Light Impressions and I purchased all my frames from them. A year or two ago, they discontinued my favorite wood frame and my favorite metal frame, so I've been forced to use ones I'm not as happy with.

By the way, for those interested in such things, the word is Plexiglas. It's a trademark, and it's spelled with one s.

Jon, I got in trouble for mounting some prints onto plain mountboard and sticking them to the wall. The gallery said I should have taken more consideration and used metal instead...

I guess they didn't realise the added cost and risks involved. Like glass, if the metal falls, it will cause a lot of damage (sheet metal will cut deep)

Plastics are good instead of glass as you say, but they can still splinter. They are brittle at certain angles of pressure. I've found in the UK they attract a lot of dust and particles from static build-up.

Quote Originally Posted by coops View Post
    I recently mounted several 20x30 color prints to foam core using a heat press and framed them in a plain metal frame with no Matt or glass/acrylic. I sprayed the prints with moab print protector. There is little to no reflection which really makes them pop and of course they are very light to carry. Of course this is not for every print, but it went down really well at a few art shows I did recently.
    I concur. Five years ago I was exhibiting at an art show in Denver. The assigned flats were opposite large floor-to-ceiling, north-facing windows. After my work was hung I left. When I returned, as I walked toward my photos, the glare was so bad that I could scarcely identify the subject matter. I immediately pulled them down, removed the glass, and rehung them.

No matter what kind of glass you use there are reflections, attenuation of light passing through the glass both ways, and overall glare. The nonglare glass attenuates the light even more. Compared to glass-encased photographs, the contrast and tonality of glassless photographs stand out in their richness.

I have come up against the argument that the glass is needed to "protect" the photograph. What is it being protected from? No one uses glass to protect a one-of-a-kind painting. Glass is not used over photographs printed on canvas. All of my photographs are replaceable if they incur damage. The only time I use glass on my photographs is when they are hung in a food preparation environment to shield them from airborne greases and other particulate matter.
    al