Thread: Need: Longer Screw, Tripod Head Plate

Need: Longer Screw, Tripod Head Plate

This one is (1/4-20) 11mm or slightly under 1/2 inch. I would like one closer to 15mm or 5/8 inch. D-ring preferred so it can be hand tightened. I found a few at the same length, but longer must be an odd request? My field camera has the clearance for a longer shaft.

Re: Need: Longer Screw, Tripod Head Plate

Sometimes hardware stores are a better source for photo accessories than camera stores. 1/4-20 screws are available with thumb screw and wing heads. You may have to file off a few threads close to the head for some tripods.

Try Fastenal if there is one in your area, if they don't have it they can get it.

Try your local DIY store (Home Depot, Lowe's, etc). They should have wing-head bolts.

Fastenal only sells fasteners in packages of 100.

- Leigh

Why do you need a longer bolt? As a rule of thumb the threads will develop full holding strength when the length of the engaged threads is equal to the diameter of the bolt. You won't gain anything by screwing it in further.

For a little extra security, you can use Loctite: http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/10/...r-Blue-242.htm

Why do you need a longer bolt? As a rule of thumb the threads will develop full holding strength when the length of the engaged threads is equal to the diameter of the bolt. You won't gain anything by screwing it in further.
    It's probably not about screwing it further, but about the bolt being too short to engage correctly, or to even engage at all. Some older cameras have their tripod mounting holes slightly recessed.
    I have this problem with my Master View. I have two bolts. One of them doesn't engage the thread of the camera at all, and the other one only goes in about one turn, maybe one and a half. I need a longer screw, but unfortunately for me it's not as easy as going to the hardware store, because we only have metric screws here, while tripod screw sizes are imperial. So, I'm watching this thread, too. I'm interested in a longer tripod screw that can be ordered on-line.

Vlad,
    If you know Dave why not ask him to drop by the local hardware store to see what's available? A bolt with a wing type head shouldn't be more than a dollar or two.
    I'd get one about twice the length you need & cut it to size when you have it in hand.

Grainger's website shows 329 knobs with 1/4"-20 thread. Pick your favorite.

Charley

ps: You may have to register to enter the website. Pretend you're a business; they don't like to deal with the general public.