Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Epson Scanner ?

New Epson Scanner ?

Is a new version of the Epson 700 scanner under development, or already available ?

Re: New Epson Scanner ?

There has been talk for about three years of an Epson 900 as a replacement for the 700/750 series. I don't think it's ever come to market, at least not in the U.S., but I could be wrong, I don't keep up with scanners very much. If you Google on "epson 900" you can find some information about it.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I haven't heard even a whisper from Epson on this in what two years?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I am getting ready to buy a 700. The 900 should be announced a week or so after I order!

Quote Originally Posted by David E. Rose View Post
    I am getting ready to buy a 700. The 900 should be announced a week or so after I order!
    I think you're safe. There was a flurry of excitement a few years ago and then as Kirk says, nothing in several years. If they haven't produced it in all that time it seems doubtful they ever will. Film scanners aren't exactly a growth industry.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

First heard about an Epson 900 about a year an a half ago, got tired of waiting and bought aV700, was sure the 900 would come out a week later. Hasn't yet, have had the V700 for 6months.

Tom

I wonder what they would improve if anything?

I imagine that even after the "Singularity" our Cyborg replacements will still need to have a flatbed scanner that does as well as the Epson 750, at least if they are at all interested in human anthropology.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I wonder what they would improve if anything?
    Maybe they'll optimize it for Ilford and forget about Kodak? Just to keep up with the times...

Are they selling enough 700/750's to justify delivering another scanner with minor/marginal improvements. They havent changed the rgb sensor for quite a few generations, so what else is likely, high dollar lenses, or more sturdy platform. All of these would cost major $$'s.

Be happy with the 750/700/4990, they are all equally capable, no need to buy a new scanner for updated plastic.

bob
    Last edited by Bob McCarthy; 17-Feb-2011 at 09:02. Reason: minor corrections to spelling

Well it would be nice if someone made a run of $2500 professional scanners like a Scitex Creo Kodak Eversmart lite or something... but I guess the higher resolution and quality scanners need a heavier chassis, finer micro-motors, better lens, etc. so you probably jump up to $15K very rapidly if you try to use all quality components.

After twenty years of buying scanners I still find that the inexpensive Epsons are quite amazing for what they are. You have to figure a lightweight housing isn't going to be as precise as a rigid one, the motors are already amazing in how fine they can move, the depth of field and lens quality is pretty darn good for what it is.... etc. So Epson did a good job with design and engineering to come up with something so good for only a few hundred bucks.