Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats the story on 4x5 Color Transparency Film?

Whats the story on 4x5 Color Transparency Film?

Tried to order today for my business. It seems Kodaks ONE emulsion E100G is not available. The B&H website says temporarily unavailable. Chatting with a B&H telephone rep, he says "Kodak is thinking about it..not sure if they are going to produce more, or not".

Several of the largest vendors of Fuji (B&H and Adorama) do not have any 4x5 Fuji Provia RDPIII in stock.

Found 20 20sheet boxes at Unique and ordered it. They said it was discontinued.

Called Fuji USA, and their customer service rep said all 4x5 transparency film was discontinued, however an email inquiry to them got a reply that 20 sheet boxes were available.

Called Freestyle and they have plenty, and said if it were announced as discontinued they would know and would flag their inventory data, therefore they could tell me. They said the 10 sheet boxes were discontinued some time back, but the 20 sheets were still available on several Fuji transparency emulsions.

Such conflicting information makes me crazy.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: Whats the story on 4x5 Color Transparency Film?

Call Glazer's Camera and see what they have in stock. They had a good selection last time I was in there.

Oh, I see, you got it from Freestyle. NP.

Such is life during the twilight of film.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    Call Glazer's Camera and see what they have in stock. They had a good selection last time I was in there.

Oh, I've got 30 boxes coming (from 2 vendors) that's 600 sheets, so that will last for a while, but the point is, that I derive a large part of the profit from my rather limited business from the production of photographs on 4x5 color transparency film, and I'm stressed that I won't be able to do it in the near future. I'm not BIG enough to justify the investment in a $25,000 or more digital back for my view camera,.and I need the movements of view camera for product groupings, and I'm too far away from major metropolitan areas to rent a digital back on a moments notice. I do shoot digital, but my limit right now is 14 mpx in FF 35mm format.

And, possibly, unique to ME and MY operation, I would cut my revenue in half, if I couldn't produce the film product along with the digital.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

So the product for the customer includes 4x5 transparencies?

I was just wondering if you could substitute C41, or three RGB b/w negatives.

(Sheeez, if Kodak and Fuji really dropped 4x5 E6, ... I don't like to think about it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    So the product for the customer includes 4x5 transparencies?

I was just wondering if you could substitute C41, or three RGB b/w negatives.

(Sheeez, if Kodak and Fuji really dropped 4x5 E6, ... I don't like to think about it.)

If you go to Kodaks online website, they do not show ANY transparency film for either amateur or professional markets.

The Fuji information is conflicting.

Yes, the customer prefers this as they make products that do not change often, and they have a library of 4x5 images shot by me over the last 30 years, and they can have them scanned at whatever resolution they need, from wall-covering poster size, to small catalog images. If I shot digital only, they would have to be re-shot if size requirements changed. It is the immediate quality viewability of 4x5 that the customer likes. Negatives and b/w separations would not be acceptable to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    If you go to Kodaks online website, they do not show ANY transparency film for either amateur or professional markets.
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...l?pq-path=1229

The Fuji information is clear for the home market - the products exist. What's difficult to get a clear read on is which, if any, of the products are being imported into the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...l?pq-path=1229

The Fuji information is clear for the home market - the products exist. What's difficult to get a clear read on is which, if any, of the products are being imported into the US.
    I see the Kodak webpage. Try to click thru to the "shop now" page, and it comes up blank. And, they only show images on the page you referenced to roll film.

Drew Wiley

As long as I can remember, B&H has temporarily run out of a favorite film, just like
    every other supplier I use. That's why I always keep a spare box or two in the freezer. A friend who recently visited their retail store complained how little actual
    film they now carry; in other words, they don't seem to stock signifiant reserves
    any more. We don't need any more unsubstantiated rumors.

Drew Wiley

On the Kodak site you have to go to "All other products" - this transfers you to a
    massive section for photolab, pro photography, chemical products, tech sheets, and
    yes, sheet film. For some reason, I can't even get that popup here on my Mac; but
    my PC at work retrieves it. The entry level website is clearly geared to amateur
    consumers, basically as an advertising site. But all the other stuff is there if you
    know where to look.