Thread: First 4x5 image

First 4x5 image

Here is my first 4x5 image. It was taken at the Santa Barbara Courthouse in Santa Barbara, California. Please excuse the crude scan. I placed the slide on a light table and took a picture of it with my digital camera. Not really going for high quality with that method.

Anyway...just wanted to share in the excitment!

Al

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: First 4x5 image

Congratulations, Al! Very nice, especially for a first image! Any idea what the final output will be, conventional print, digital print, just leave it as a transparancy...?
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Great start.

Great to find that 4x5 is still going strong... must admit that while I enjoy the speed of digital it doesn't come close to the quality of LF. I recently got myself a Sinar F1, off ebay, and spent hrs & hrs learning how to use it... than spent an afternoon, with the family, to practice. Here is 3 of my first shots from that afternoon and even though it took several hours of scouting the area and setting up that big camera... it was the most relaxing portrait session ever. Reminds me of why I got into photography...

Mark--I may live as just a transparancy until i get some better way to scan it. I should print it though, just to compare to a printed digital camera image.

Bushpilot--I agree I like the speed of digital, but I'm looking forward to taking more time to plan and compose my shots with the 4x5.

Quote Originally Posted by bushpilot1970 View Post
    Reminds me of why I got into photography...
    And those nice 4x5 shots will look so much nicer than the digi snap versions when your grandkids are looking at them in the photo albums years from now. Primarily because you took the time to make those photos count.