Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tachihara 4x5

Octogenarian

Re: Tachihara 4x5

One other thing about the Tachihara, it does not have a Graflok sliders on the back, making it difficult to use a roll film back on the camera.

This limits the use of the Tachi to roll film backs that slide under the ground glass, such as the Calumet C2.

I have the Tachy. 4x5 and rarely keep it folded in the carry case, always afraid the constant opening and closing may wear the bellows prematurely. Anyone had this experience?

Quote Originally Posted by coops View Post
    I have the Tachy. 4x5 and rarely keep it folded in the carry case, always afraid the constant opening and closing may wear the bellows prematurely. Anyone had this experience?

I have had my Tachy for about 8 years and I have always keep it folded. I purchased it used. The bellows have not shown any undue wear, remain supple, and light tight. I especially love the gg on mine which is extremely bright. My back accepts the grafmatic "45" film holders. This has been a very fine light 4x5 which I can pack places.

Jon
    Last edited by Jon Wilson; 13-Feb-2011 at 13:13. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by rguinter View Post
    Fred:

Why don't you check the for-sale section of this forum.

eddie listed a Tachihara for sale yesterday and it might still be available.

Bob G.
    Bob,
    I can't check the for-sale section yet. I just signed up on this site about a week ago and, it appears, you have to be a member for 30 days before you can access the for-sale section.

Fred

I own a Tachihara, I've taken it all over, industrial areas, into the mountains, woods etc. It's very lightweight and stable. I've used a Fuji 240 A on it since that lens is light and fantastically sharp. I would recommend one. I've also used it with a Horseman Roll film 6x9 back. I stick a piece of cardboard between the GG and the back so the little film box holder thing doesn't bang the GG. The spring back does rise high enough for the Horseman to slide under easily. When I was taking color classes I needed to shoot roll film for assignments so I used that quite extensively. Recently I got a deal on a used Ebony SV45U. It's obviously a nicer camera but I have to say that I feel that extra weight on my back. I don't own a car so I carry everything in a Lowepro backpack. I was also unpleasantly surprised to find that the Tachi's GG was brighter than the Ebony's. Someday I hope to make contact with Bill Maxwell to get a new screen for the Ebony.

So there's a lot to recommend the Tachihara. Also, Schneider makes a 350mm lens that comes with a top hat specifically to be used on bellows challenged cameras like the Tachihara or the Shen Hao. So that gives you another choice lens wise.

And I've had that bellows out in the rain and opened and closed that thing a lot and it looks like new. Though I do clean and take care of the camera.

SF Bay Area 94303

I own a Tachihara, lightest 4x5 I own, but compared to the CC401, old SwissArca, Linhof, or the crown and speed it is a flapper in the breeze. I built a wooden stick with velcro on it and I have velcro on the front and back standard. After I get it set up I plop the stick down to hold the standards solid. This works fine. If you gotta have light this is it. K