Thread: G Claron vs. a"normal" telephotos

G Claron vs. a"normal" telephotos

I'm thinking of getting a 270/300mm lense for 4x5. I was ready to settle on the G Claron but then did some checking on the Schneider web page. They say that t he G Clarons are optimized for 1:1 reproduction (macro - close up work) but can be use for infinity focus if stopped down to F22+.

Does this mean the lense really doens't perform well at infinity focus as far as actually focusing sharply on a distant object and relys mainly on small aperatu re (F22+) depth of field to achieve sharpness? Intending to do only infinty foc us work (no macro/table top) and being a stickler for sharpness, would I be bett er off getting a "regular" 270/300 lens, like the Nikon M or one of the Rodnesto ck/Scheider F5.6 lenses?

THX in advance,

Todd

See WWW.WISNER.COM for numerous discussions of g-clarons, their light weight and their use at infinity. He's a proponent of these lenses. Check the Q&A board.

The G-Clarons have a good reputation for performing at infinity. Here is my comparison of the 305 mm G-Claron with the 300 mm Nikkor-M:

The similiarities: both are in Copal 1, both are f9, both do well at infinity, both have plenty of coverage for 4x5 (the 305 mm G-Claron has greater coverage and might be a better choice for 8x10). The differences: the Nikkor-M is designed for infinity and multicoated. The G-Claron is not. The Nikkor-M is cheaper (based on prices on B&H web site).

For distant subjects and 4x5, each comparison is either a tie or the Nikkor-M is better. The biggest problem with Nikon large-format lenses seems to be spotty availability.

The f5.6 offerings have lots of coverage (might make a difference for 8x10), but weigh and cost a lot more. In this focal length for 4x5, I don't find ground glass brightness to be a problem at f9.

Something else to consider, aside from purely optical considerations.

If you will be using this lens outdoors a lot, the extra "sail area" of 300mm of bellows is considerable, and quite a light breeze will shake even the sturdiest setup enough to ruin sharpness. A stronger wind can even push the bellows into the light path.

There are long lenses available for large format which are of telephoto design, (Tele-Arton, Nikkor-T, etc.) which means that the bellows extension is much shorter than their focal length, a real advantage for outdoor work.

Todd, If you have not already done so, you may want to review Thalman's, Sparks ' and Herman's comments in the equipment review section of this LF site. See th e following sections: A selection of modern lenses, Specific lenses: long for 4 x5, and More thoughts on selecting a long lens for 4x5. Good luck, Sergio.