Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Modern Camera Prices

Modern Camera Prices

"Here's a much more recent example of LF price increases. The Sinar F1 was $1850 two years ago at B&H. It's now $2311. That's a 25% increase ($461) in two years."

Want a better example?

Look in the B&H catalog (the big one, not the monthly one and not the web page) and check the 1999 price for the Linhof Kardan M 4x5 full featured monorail camera. It was, I believe, $1995.00.

Now check any dealer for the price of the Linhof Kardan M camera which is the same camera as the E except renamed for the Millennium.

The current price is $1170.00!

If you are a student in a photo school the price through your local dealer is $895.00

Modern Camera Prices

Good point, Dan. Another thing which we don't take into consideration is the inflation rate in Germany. I am sure that taking the inflation rate of both countries into the picture, it would work out where the price has not increased that much. Incidentally, in an earlier posting in this thread, I said that I had read that Linhofs and Rolleis were selling at $500 in the later years of WWII. I meant that to mean that price was for USED cameras, but I failed to say so. Speaking of camera and lens prices, many photographers, me included, tend to equate price with quality and desirability. I'll be willing to bet that few of us would be rushing to buy a Lieca or Linhof or Nikon if they were priced at $99 including carrying case. Look at the many good low and medium priced cameras that aren't made anymore. The old all-metal B and J press camera was as good as a Speed Graphic and even had a revolving back, which the Graphic didn't have. It sold for about a third of the price of a Graphic. Yet, everyone wanted the Graphic. Doug.

Modern Camera Prices

Well, everyone can decide for him or herself whether a Linhoff is worth the price. That decision will depend on lots of factors, many of which are personal. My point was that it is not really the case, as the original post suggested, that the price of high-end 4x5 cameras (Linhoff in particular)has declined in real terms since 1942. That doesn't mean that to some people they won't be worth the money.

Modern Camera Prices

All this Linhof talk makes me wonder about an issue I never fully understood. Bob, tell me how Linhof, the Rolls Royse of cameras with a reputation that exceeds all others could be in bankrupcy... or just come out of bankrupcy? This is second hand information, so wait for confirmation from Bob.... however, my question is this... with such a huge reputable name.. high prices (which usualy represent greater gross margins) compared to other makers today.. which is not surprsing, Mercedes Benz will always be more than a Ford... what made the company have such problems? And how long ago was this? It seems with the products and prices they are advertising today, like the Kardan you mention above, they should clearly be dominate and profitable again... are they? could part of this occured from the huge increase in LF makers from the 50's to say the 70's? I am sure many of us would like to understand the story behind this...

Modern Camera Prices

"All this Linhof talk makes me wonder about an issue I never fully understood. Bob, tell me how Linhof, the Rolls Royse of cameras with a reputation that exceeds all others could be in bankrupcy... or just come out of bankrupcy? "

Why do you SPREAD RUMORS OR :LIES?

If, as you say, it is unsubstantiated why not ask us before publishing this drivel?

Linhof is not in and never was in bankruptcy or liquidation. Linhof's owners husband contracted a terminal illness and she announced a couple of years ago that she wanted to sell the company.

The company was sold to another German slightly after Photokina 1998.

Yes there have been recent bankruptcies in the German photo industry. These include Rollei, Minox, Schneider, Bewi, etc over the past 20 odd years. But none of them included Linhof.

If you think you have a hot news item please do the proper thing and VERIFY YOUR FACTS PRIOR TO SPREADING TRASH!

Modern Camera Prices

My apologies Bob S, yes you are right, even though I heard this from several sources, there is a lot of bad information out there, and this was one of them... I should have not assumed this was true before asking you... I did not spread this TRASH to anyone, I posted and awaited your response. I certainly am not afraid to admit when I am in error... and take my backlashing like a man... I'm sure you would do the same....please accept my apology...

How big is Linhoff as a compnay? Is their annual sales figures quoted... is this public information? Employees, etc. I assume you must have been to the plant in Germany before, right? Just curious?

Modern Camera Prices

Bill you did spread this trash to everyone on this list. Take responsibility for your actions.

Modern Camera Prices

Not to enter into polemics or excuse anything, but I was told two years ago by m y official Linhof representative in Switzerland, that the Master 2000 wasn't made anymore. Until e nd of last year when I was told it was again available. In the same time, I saw it advertised on some w ebsites in the US! Search for the error!

Modern Camera Prices

"Not to enter into polemics or excuse anything, but I was told two years ago by my official Linhof representative in Switzerland, that the Master 2000 wasn't made anymore. Until end of last year when I was told it was again available. In the same time, I saw it advertised on some websites in the US! Search for the error! "

The 2000 was never discontinued, at least by the factory, but the finder with the electronic rangefinder was discontinued after the production of them was depleted.

Perhaps that is what they were referring to?

Modern Camera Prices

Who would tell a potential customer that a pricey camera is not available if it weren't true? Maybe the person was not well informed (which would be a shame for an official r epresentant). Obviously this was an error, but I'm just trying to demonstrate how rumors can start!