Thread: Suggestions for Yosemite & Big Sur - Mid-October

Suggestions for Yosemite & Big Sur - Mid-October

I am planning a trip to Yosemite and Big Sur for mid October of this year.
    Do any of you experts have suggestions?
    I was planning on flying from Newark, NJ to San Francisco and renting a car for a week to 10 days.
    Will be shooting 4x5 WISTA SP and bringing a DSLR for metering and shooting quickly at sunrise & sunset.
    I have never been to Yosemite or Big Sur and I want to make the most of the limited time I will be there.
    Many thanks,
    Mike

Preston Birdwell

Re: Suggestions for Yosemite & Big Sur - Mid-October

October in Yosemite is typically pretty benign. It will be a crap shoot as to whether or not the maples and oaks in The Valley have changed. They didn't start to change until early November in 2010. Unless there are early rains or snow, Yosemite Falls and Bridalveil will be quite dry; Vernal and Nevada will be flowing, but not high flow by any strestch. They can be very nice, though.

If you can, and assuming the Tioga road (120) is open, hop up to Tenaya Lake/Tuolumne Meadows and then over to the Mono Basin. Again, its a crap shoot as to fall color on the East Side. Mid October over there can be very nice. If there is an early storm, the aspens could already be bare, and Tioga Pass can close at any time. Careful attention to the weather forecast is called for.

Others will have to chime in regarding Big Sur.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Richard M. Coda

Here's a suggestion... take me with you!

Big Sur... make sure you spend at least a day at Pt. Lobos. If you have never been to Big Sur before you may want to take a leisurely drive first... it can be harrowing for the first time driver... then come back the next day with places to stop. Garrapata beach, Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, Pfeiffer Beach. You may want to give Gina and Kim Weston a call and see if it's OK to stop by and see Edward's home.
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

Mike,

The best suggestion I have for Yosemite that time of year is to delay your trip for 2 weeks. Typically, the very end of October and the 1st week or so of November are best for fall color. 2010 was a banner year in the valley! Of course every year is different, but much more autumn opportunities the later in October you go.

The Pacific coast will be good any time and in fact is great that time of year. If it were me, I would fly in to San Jose, and do the coast first. Take highway 17 from San Jose to Santa Cruz then follow highway 1 along the coast to Monterey. I would recommend a stop in Monterey and make sure you drive around the Peninsula through Pacifc Grove and towards Pebble beach. That drive is one of my favorites.

Definitely include Pt. Lobos. Do a search here in the forum for Big Sur and you'll find other threads with more suggestions.

Back to Yosemite. From the Monterey area it should take a good 4 hours or so to reach Yosemite. Driving times are a bit different on the west coast you know... ;-) Many routes to chose from, but I would take hw 156 off of hw 1 just north of Monterey. To 101 north and then 152 east out of Gilroy. That will take you across the San Joaquin valley to hw 99.

Here you have a choice, North to Merced on 99 then east on hw 140 to Mariposa and Yosemite. This is a wonderful drive and probably the most direct for you. However, since it's your first trip, you may opt to go south on 99 to Fresno, then NE on hw 41 through Oakhurst and Yosemite. A longer, more mountainous route, but will take you by the Mariposa Redwood grove and Glacier Point (if still open.) Also, for a first time visitor, there is nothing quite like that initial wow factor of coming out of the tunnel and seeing Yosemite Valley for the first time. You could make the return trip via hw 140 and the Merced River Canyon, which IMO is a destination by itself.

Keep this CalTrans road conditions number handy for this time of year: 1-800.427.7623

Lodging. Depending on budget, I would try and stay in the valley itself. There's cabins and tent cabins in Curry village and motel style lodging at Yosemite Lodge. YOu can use this link for reservations.

Outside the valley, the closest and best accommodations are around El Portal. The Yosemite View Lodge ($100+) and Cedar lodge with slightly lower rates. I'm not sure when they drop their winter rates. Here's a link.

The cheapest route of course is car camping, but if you want a roof and a bed then you can get a room in Mariposa on hw 140 for $50 or so. It's about a 40min drive to the valley from there.

In the end, I agree with Preston's comment as well and would say that the middle of October, without fall colors isn't the best time - at least not one I would recommend. Having said that.... you can find many magical things any time of the year in Yosemite. Have a great trip.

Lon

Drew Wiley

Pt Lobos can get pretty crowded on sunny weekends. Nicer on weekdays, especially
    in the morning, although the light from the setting sun PM might suit you better. The
    fog is rare in Oct, but the place can be nice in the rain. Julia Pfeiffer park is generally
    uncrowded. If you want a longer drive down Hwy 1 (very scenic the whole way), you
    can visit Hearst Castle. The easiest way from the Monterey area to Yosemite is over
    Pacheco Pass Hwy 152.