Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building b&w mask for color negative film

Re: Building b&w mask for color negative film

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    I found someone that is as deep in the water as I am with my photography. I get to Ft. Collins fairly regularly (my daughter just graduated from CSU and my son is a sophomore in the engineering school there) so I will give you a call so we can get together. I would love to see more of your process and your work and discuss this situation in more detail. I will PM you.
    Michael, I would love that very much, but please contact me before hand because I am buried in my darkroom, and if you make a random stop I most likely will not climb out of the darkness to greet you.

My contact info is on my website at www.stephenwillard.com.

Drew, once again you have been very helpful. I will be placing an order for a few boxes of FP4, and I have lots HC-110 around. Where do you get 1% benzotriazole? The more more neutral gray the final mask is the better I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Willard View Post
    Michael, I would love that very much, but please contact me before hand because I am buried in my darkroom, and if you make a random stop I most likely will not climb out of the darkness to greet you.

My contact info is on my website at www.stephenwillard.com.
    Sounds like a plan. I will know when I am coming up to your area a week in advance.

I make contrast masks the old fashioned way - lith film in normal film developer. Pure gray with absolutely no color cast.

Drew Wiley

Stephen - just buy powder benzotriazole from Formulary or whoever, and dissolve
    10g into a liter of water. Jim - the significant advantage of masks on pan film is that you can make color corrections with contrast filters, just like general shooting.
    Lith film is good for lith masks and sometimes for black and white film masking,
    but generally isn't panchromatic (Tech Pan was), and in the case of color neg masking, would be difficult to develop to a very low gamma. Unless you know
    some secret I don't, lith films fog up at very low levels of contrast. Color negs are
    especially fussy.

what about pre-flashing lith film and developing it for full gray-scale rather than 1/2 tone like usual?

might help with lowering contrast...

but I've never done it

-Dan

Drew Wiley

Daniel - same two problems. Lith film is vaguely ortho (more blue than green sensitive), so will seriously skew the pallette toward one end of the spectrum. And
    for masking work you need to be able to get a reasonably clean curve way down around what would typcially be an N minus four gamma - whole different ballgame
    than conventional film use. You also need to "see through" the orange mask already
    present on color neg film - this is something ortho litho film is inherently incapable of doing.