Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transporting 8x10 field equipment.

---

---
    Last edited by TAG; 16-Jan-2017 at 14:54.

Re: Transporting 8x10 field equipment.

Jogging Strollers, look for them on your local Craigslist. If you have too much money you can buy a new BOB jogging stroller but otherwise look for one with a good hand brake as well as locking wheel brakes. Mine has a nice canvas "basket" area under the seat where I keep film holders.

I carry my Deardorff V8 (wrapped in the darkcloth) in an aluminum Zero Halliburton case along with three lenses. The Halliburton case, my tripod, and a canvas bag with the film holders all fit, secured with bungee cord, on a collapsible hand cart of the type ordinarily used for moving suitcases in airports. Used Halliburton cases can be found at (relatively) low cost on eBay. The cart came from Target.

This has worked acceptably several years now for travel on mostly level ground, in dry weather, out to about one half mile from the car. I plan to upgrade to something like a Sherpacart in the future. The cart that I am using has small diameter wheels, ca. six inches, and is a bit of a handful on rough ground or gravel roads.

Wraped in the darkcloth inside the Halliburton case, the camera and lenses are quite well protected.

Its usually managed with lots of huffing and puffing and then some cursing followed by questions like ''wtf......'' All sorted of course with the help of a nice 1/2 hr power nap and the rapid intake of 3 ltrs of luke warm water to recharge the faded batteries for the next 100 yards....no seriously what about mules or llamas or wheeled carts?

Its all here... http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ying+8x10+gear

Not sure how you get the llamas or mules into the car though... stuff for another thread I guess.

For short distances, less than a quarter mile. I carry two large pelican cases. One for the camera and the other for everything else. Keep in mind that I typically work in very wet environments. I can set my cases down on damp ground and not worry.

For longer distances I use my photo backpack but I can't set it on wet ground, I try to hang it instead.

www.timeandlight.com

Re: Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by TAG View Post
    Thanks to all who have responded so far. The links given were interesting to say the least. The llamas, baby jogging stroller, and other wheeled contraptions would work great for some circumstances, but has anyone found a suitable backpack type arrangement for carrying an 8x10 camera and a few film holders, dark cloth and a couple of lenses for relatively short diatances - say up to 1/2mile or so? It seems like even the largest camera backpacks that I have seen advertised are really not quite large enough to fit 8x10 cameras with their protruding knobs.

TAG
    Hard to be Photobackpacker backpacks for large format gear. That is what I use for a Wehman 8x10 camera plus 4 lenses and gear.

Do a search here for ''f64 packs'' and you'll find 30 odd threads of stuff to mull over.

I should have been more specific. All my gear goes into a Lowepro Super Trekker which rides in the jogging stroller, or on my back if I'm hiking somewhere the stroller won't go. I can fit an 8x10 Canham, 3 lenses (don't have any giant brass beauties), Pentex dig spot meter, loupes and more gadgets than I will ever need or use, 2 or 3 film holders and a dark cloth.

TAG, I asked the same question a few weeks ago:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=71606

You will see lots of suggestions there.

I am in the process of making a cart out of a two-wheeled wheelbarrow (minus the tub). I am going to cut slats to mount across from handle to handle, starting down near the tires and going up about half way, so I can strap my camera case, film case, lens case, and tripod).

I needed something that could be used off the paved roads and sidewalks and on the rocky hiking trails, so I needed a sturdy platform with wide, soft tires. I am still in the process of construction.