Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 or 8x10 lens

4x5 or 8x10 lens

I plead ignorance about large format lenses.
    One of the lenses I have is a Fujinon-L 300/5.6 that I got for a pretty decent price and it is in very good shape. There is a hand written notation on the box that says "8x10". But it fits on my Wista 45N (4x5) no problem and if I fully extend the focusing rails I can get it to focus just fine. Does that mean it will work on 4x5? Is there some inherent difference between 8x10 lenses and 4x5 lenses?

I don't have an 8x10 camera and don't really see myself getting one in the future so I would like to think that this Fujinon will work with my Wista...

Re: 4x5 or 8x10 lens

Yes, it will work perfectly on your 4x5". And you'll have plenty of room for tilts and shifts, too.

It will work splendidly. BUT, there will be an awful lot of light bashing around off the bellows which must give some background light on the 4x5 image. Depends on how mat black the inside of the camera and bellows is. It will be worse if your bellows is approaching maximum extension - the light trap design of bellows will not be so effective.

A lens throws an image circle of a finite size based upon the designers intent.

So there is a maximum format that will fit within the circle. Excess circle does no harm.

As long as the lens can focus and the image circle fits, there is no issue. Other than lots of surplus light bouncing around. Keep the inner parts blacked as the manufacture supplies. Touch up any worn or reflective areas.

Formats smaller than the maximum are usable, often with maximum movement of the camera allowed.

bob

Short answer - I've never used this particular lens but assuming it's designed for 8x10 it should nevertheless work fine as long as it fits on your camera and isn't so big and heavy that it puts excessive strain on the front standard of your camera. Lenses designed for 8x10 will generally have a larger image circle than lenses designed for 4x5 and smaller formats in order to cover the larger film. But if they fit on a smaller camera they'll normally work on a smaller camera, they and their shutter will often just be larger, heavier, and more expensive than an equivalent lens and shutter designed for the smaller format. Someone here has probably used this particular lens and can tell you more about it.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

It has been quite a few years since I was in was in the Fujinon lens business but L series were tessar type and covered 59 degrees, very sharp, and Fuji referred to them as High resolution. LS described as multi coated on all air glass surfaces. I think I remember that if it said L that in was conventially coated. Ive shot with both and love them. A 300 L will cover 8x10 for sure.

Lynn

Thanks to all for the excellent information. So as I understand it, the key factor is whether the image circle is large enough for a given format. Therefore using a lens on a format smaller than what it is intended for is no problem as long as it can focus, other than the possible issue of excess light bouncing around if the bellows are not in good condition.

I'm relieved!

A lens hood, particularly a properly adjusted compendium hood, will reduce/vignette the image circle and remove much if not most of the additional light bouncing around inside the camera. Get one!

Thanks for the tip Jason!

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

I have the Fujinon C f/8.5 300mm lens.

The only "problem" with the lens is that since it is not a telephoto design, it requires your full bellows for focusing. You will not be able to focus on near objects. Other than that, you're set!