Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4x5 or 8x10 lens

Re: 4x5 or 8x10 lens

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    The 300L is a fairly heavy lens and shutter. So the main problem will be if your 4x5 front standard can support something like this without vibration.
    I have this same lens, which I bought for my 8x10 camera, and I've used it occasionally on my Toyo 4x5. It is a beast and it's a bit nerving using it on my Toyo, even though that is also built like a beast. I wouldn't put it on a camera that is anything less than substantial.

A lens hood, particularly a properly adjusted compendium hood, will reduce/vignette the image circle and remove much if not most of the additional light bouncing around inside the camera. Get one!
    This is everything true if you use the lens wide open, look on your groundglas after stopping down to f16/22/32 then you see its not a problem at all!!!

Cheers Armin

On eBay, I bid on and won an f/5.6 Schneider 300mm lens a couple years ago. I was the only bidder, for some reason.

When I received it, I was amazed! The lens and Copal 3 shutter were pristine and ... it is HUGE! Before I bid, I suppose I should have asked the seller what film size it had been designed for. Only after I received it did I learn it was designed for use with 8x10" film. oopsie! I use 4x5" film.

I mounted it onto of my Cambo lens boards then attached it to my 4x5" Cambo Legend. I swear the camera yawned and said, "Hey, is that all you are going to throw at me?"

Yes, I use a Cambo compendium with it but only as a lens hood, not to cut out excess light.

And to think I only wanted to replace a tiny f/6.8 360mm lens in a pneumatic shutter that had been stolen.

One thing I have run into is that the 86mm filter threads do not accept "standard" 86mm filters. The threads are somehow different. Maybe Bob can fill me in on why.