Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scanning software choice

Re: Scanning software choice

You can also turn on the "Show Density" function and use it as a basic densiometer.

For the record, the Epson application does the same thing: as you mouse over any region, you see the RGB values below. It's a feature that is always on,as far as I know.

What the Epson L value shows, is not the raw input value detected by the scanner (which is what a densitometer would reveal), but rather the output value you will get in your file, after performing scanner adjustments. This way you can set the low-end of the levels or curve, so that the clear film edge is clipped to a luminance value of 0, but no more.

This is a "digital equivalent" of giving the minimal print time required to render the film edge as Zone 0.

Quote Originally Posted by SW Rick View Post
    Tim,

... Vuescan has a trial mode BTW.

Rick
    Unfortunately, the trial version of Vuescan doesn't enable the more useful features of the software.

Stefan

Another vote for the Epson software. I found the other options to have poor/frustrating/slow user interfaces, and I was never able to get visibly better results than the Epson software. I remember having problems getting even decent results from color negative with one of the alternative softwares, but I can't remember which now.

I received my Epson with Silverfast and Epson software, and after using Silverfast by recommendation for several months I got tired of it turning to the Epson software, which I prefer.
    I`m surprised. I thought I was the only one.

Preston Birdwell

A long time ago, I had an Epson 1200. I got far better results with Epson Scan than I did with VueScan.

I now have a Microtek 1800-f. I've used VueScan, Silverfast-AI, and ScanWizard-Pro (Microtek's driver). I have found that I get the best results with the Microtek driver.

Based upon my observations, it would appear that the factory drivers are optimized for their scanners. I could be wrong, and maybe I'm not using those other drivers correctly, but I like the results from Scan Wizard, and it's pretty easy to use. Like others here, I find that VueScan and Silverfast are not very user-friendly.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

older than most

Ditto...What Ken and Preston said...Doug

Thank you "Everybody"

Based on the majority opinions here, I'm going to stay with the Epson software.

I appreciate all of your opinions.
    Go buy some film, and release the magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    You can also turn on the "Show Density" function and use it as a basic densiometer.

For the record, the Epson application does the same thing: as you mouse over any region, you see the RGB values below. It's a feature that is always on,as far as I know.

What the Epson L value shows, is not the raw input value detected by the scanner (which is what a densitometer would reveal), but rather the output value you will get in your file, after performing scanner adjustments. This way you can set the low-end of the levels or curve, so that the clear film edge is clipped to a luminance value of 0, but no more.

This is a "digital equivalent" of giving the minimal print time required to render the film edge as Zone 0.
    True enough Ken. However with Vuescan if you hold Ctrl you actually get an absolute Densiometer value regardless of Scanner adjustments. At least that's the way it appears to me. For instance I'm sampling a certain area of a B&W photo and Vuescan is saying the Density is 0.34. The RGB value it displays is something like 16. Now if I tell Vuescan that the film is now a Slide- thus reversing the image then that RGB value becomes 239. The density though is still 0.34.

That would be a very handy feature.
    Go buy some film, and release the magic.

I have used the Epson Pro Software for the 4 years I have been using the V700. Works fine, very easy to work with.
    Question for LJ Segil, 8x10 at 2400 ppi you are looking at a gig plus for b&w. For color 3 gigs, I am basing this on a 4x5 b&w at 2000ppi runs right around 200mb. Are you running into the scanner or system limits? I scanned a lot of 4x5s attached to a laptop with only 1 gig of RAM (what my office gave me) and I had to shut down Photoshop after each scan because of memory difficulties. But Epson scan would try just take for ever for a scan. That's some big files.

Tom