Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scanning B&W 101

Old School Wayne

scanning B&W 101

Pray tell, what are the basics of scanning B&W negs or prints with an Epson 4990. I only do this reluctantly, and don't want to become an expert. I just want to not suck completely, and so far my B&W scans do suck, the are flat and lifeless. I'd like to do as little post scan processing as possible. What should I start with as far as settings? Please dont make me read the manual....because then I'd have to find it.

Re: scanning B&W 101

Do a preview and adjust your scan area. See the little histogram symbol, click on it and set your black pt., white pt. sliders, and middle sliders.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

What? You think good scanning is effortless? You think it just happens by magic?

It takes as much effort to make a decent scan as it does to use a decent photograph with a view camera.

If you aren't willing to work at it, there's no point in trying to help you.

Bruce Watson

Wayne, the manual is worth finding. It should cover important topics we may not think to discuss. If nothing else, it is less contentious than this site. Jon's information sounds like the basic technique I use on another system. Try it.

You might find this brief article helpful: Scanning Tips (with Epson Scan)
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 3-Mar-2011 at 17:50.

Scanning is one of those things where "good enough" simply isn't. Sorry to say, but your scans suck because you "do it only reluctantly and you do not want to become an expert".

If you don't want to do it, either don't do it or pay someone who is an expert to do it for you.

Old School Wayne

Ok, if the people who don't want to actually help would please leave this thread, or if the moderator would moderate them, I'd really appreciate that. Thank you Ken Jim and Jon for your helpful comments.

Wayne,

What size film are you scanning? What do you want to do with the files? Are you going to be working on them after scanning in an image editor such as Photoshop?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Old School Wayne

I'm scanning 4x5, 5x7 or 8x10 negs, or 5x7 8x10 contact prints or 8x10 prints from 4x5. I'm not making a website, I just want something decent to look at or email friends. I'm not looking for fine art quality, just something a step or two above suck.

Scanning for preview/web resolution is much easier than scanning for fine art. Especially when you're starting with a large physical image (4x5 and greater), a few inches by a few inches at 72 dpi you could almost do with a cellphone camera, let alone a scanner.

Any of the tutorials mentioned here would work great. For what you want, it's not especially difficult for a newbie to teach himself; I think that's basically what you were wondering anyway?

A word of caution: scanning gets addictive. You have the file, once and for all; if you burn or dodge or otherwise manipulate it, you can save those changes forever! All the advantages of digital with all the richness of film. GASP!

...and soon you'll find yourself obsessed, buying those silly "better scanning" adjustable-height film holders (because they do in fact do some good). Eventually, "good enough" won't be...