Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scottsdale/Phoenix galleries?

Scottsdale/Phoenix galleries?

I am in Scottsdale for a couple of days and would like to see some photographs. Are there any galleries in the Phoenix area that show good work?

Thanks,
    Henry

Re: Scottsdale/Phoenix galleries?

Phoenix Art Museum has great shows in the Norton Gallery, currently showing Brett Weston and Sonya Noskowiak. 422 Gallery, 44th and Indian School in Phoenix (4115 N. 44th St), has good work on display, currently showing Kim Weston, Randy Efros, work by owner John Kitts and others. In Scottsdale, Gebert @ 7160 E. Main often has interesting work. There's an excellent show by a very talented group of local photographers (Imageworks) at the ASU Downtown Library (Phoenix). Tilt Gallery at 919 W. Fillmore in Phoenix tends to have more alternative-type work, limited days/hours- best to check with them first to see if/when they're open.

Etherton Gallery in Tucson has largest array and inventory in the state, and you can double up with the Center for Creative Photography on the U of A campus- if you contact ahead, you can arrange to have them pull work from their tremendous archives for your viewing.

Richard M. Coda

What Rick said...

Rick, what did you think of the Imageworks show at ASU? I'm part of that group.
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

Quote Originally Posted by Richard M. Coda View Post
    What Rick said...

Rick, what did you think of the Imageworks show at ASU? I'm part of that group.
    Rich,

I think it's just great- very encouraging to see the depth and breadth of local talent in a place that seems at first so much a "desert". Some are my cup of tea, others not, but almost all stretch the imagination and that makes life interesting. I'd like to see this happen regularly. And this is not just because you're part of the group- it's great you are, and thanks for your contribution!

Richard M. Coda

Thanks for the comments, Rick. I will pass them along to the group.

I just posted to my blog with some snaps from the first opening. Two more are scheduled for Fri., Feb. 18 and Fri., March 18, both from 6-9 PM.

http://rcodaphotography.blogspot.com...l-library.html
    my blog

Quote Originally Posted by SW Rick View Post
    Phoenix Art Museum has great shows in the Norton Gallery, currently showing Brett Weston and Sonya Noskowiak. 422 Gallery, 44th and Indian School in Phoenix (4115 N. 44th St), has good work on display, currently showing Kim Weston, Randy Efros, work by owner John Kitts and others. In Scottsdale, Gebert @ 7160 E. Main often has interesting work. There's an excellent show by a very talented group of local photographers (Imageworks) at the ASU Downtown Library (Phoenix). Tilt Gallery at 919 W. Fillmore in Phoenix tends to have more alternative-type work, limited days/hours- best to check with them first to see if/when they're open.

Etherton Gallery in Tucson has largest array and inventory in the state, and you can double up with the Center for Creative Photography on the U of A campus- if you contact ahead, you can arrange to have them pull work from their tremendous archives for your viewing.
    Thanks, Rick, for your suggestions.

Unfortunately, I won't have time for a trip down to Tucson and the CCP (although I did have a wonderful visit there 2 years ago), but I will check out a couple of the galleries and try to get to the Imageworks show.

Henry

Richard M. Coda

Henry, let me know when you go to the IW show... maybe I can meet you and give you a private tour.
    my blog

Richard M. Coda

Just put up some images from the events last week revolving around Kim Weston's visit to Phoenix...
    http://gallery.me.com/rcoda#100271

1. Panel discussion with Kim Weston, Randy Efros and Dr. Rebecca Senf (CCP) on Brett Weston followed by a gallery walkabout at the Phoenix Art Museum
    2. Private salon given by Kim Weston for InFocus members (one of the perks of membership)
    3. Artists reception of the Brett Weston, Kim Weston, Randy Efros show at 422 Gallery in Phoenix
    my blog

It is definitely worth it to visit the "Cattletracks" gallery/artist's colony in Scottsdale.
    The gallery shows lots of Jay Dusard's fine cowboy & abstractions work, including some very large prints...

Lascassas, TN

Be sure to check the open times. I waited till Monday to go to the Phoenix Museum. Wrong-----miss the show
    Bill Kumpf