Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to begin with digital negatives?

Where to begin with digital negatives?

I know this has been discussed in the past but I thought it would be nice to have an up to date discussion on this.

For background, I shoot 8x10 color and black and white. I do my own processing of both and then scan on a creo and print on an epson 9900.

The last couple of years I have been shooting primarily color but feel a strong desire to get back to black and white. This time around though I want to incorporate my analog and digital process with a final output being analog.

I want to be able to make large prints eventually, in the 30x40 range.

I have no clue where to begin so any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

first off is it worth perusing, are any of you doing this and are you happy with the results?

Are there good current books on this? I have seen some older books such as one by Danny Burkholder (sp?) called the digital negative. I am guessing there are more current techniques.

I haven't done traditional darkroom printing in many years, I would prefer not to have to buy an 8x10 enlarger but in the end that may be the only answer.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Where to begin with digital negatives?

You could get in touch with Mark Nelson of Precision Digital Negatives based out of Chicago. He has an ebook out for making digital negatives.
    http://www.precisiondigitalnegatives.com/

neophyte

I am not quite sure where you are going with this: hybrid workflow vs contact printing?
    Hybrid workflow would be something like scan 8x10, do stuff on computer, output through printer on 30x40 size. Contact printing would be something like scan 8x10, do stuff on computer, output through printer onto transparent film in 30 x 40 (!?) size, then contact print.
    In general digital negatives are related to the latter process, often for use in alt. process work.
    "In the field of observation chance favours the prepared mind" -- Pasteur

Thanks Laura, I'll check that out.

Brian, sorry, I tried to describe my current workflow as scanned film, adjusted digitally and printed digitally. For this venture I want to print analog as in traditional silver contact print which has been digitally corrected or alternate process prints which have been digitally adjusted and then printed larger than the original 8x10 film.

Are any of you doing this and if so how is the quality compared to an 8x10 with an enlarger and traditional process?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John Brady View Post
    Thanks Laura, I'll check that out.

Brian, sorry, I tried to describe my current workflow as scanned film, adjusted digitally and printed digitally. For this venture I want to print analog as in traditional silver contact print which has been digitally corrected or alternate process prints which have been digitally adjusted and then printed larger than the original 8x10 film.

Are any of you doing this and if so how is the quality compared to an 8x10 with an enlarger and traditional process?

Thanks
    My experience has been that silver gelatin contact prints made from digital ink jet negatives are inferior compared to contact prints made directly from film. They lack the sharp details and easily reveal the dither of the ink jet printer.

You may wish to contact Bob Carnie at Elevator labs in Toronto. They have a Lambda printer that will output directly to film from digital files which you could contact print.

Inkjet negatives work well for hand coated processes such palladium prints.

Don Bryant

Thanks Don, Thats the kind of information I am looking for.

Richard M. Coda

I agree with Don, BUT, I prefer to (post Photoshop) have my file re-output to a new silver negative that I can enlarge or contact print. Results are indistinguishable from prints made with in-camera negatives. I have even made an 11x14 contact neg from a 35mm film neg (WTC on my website) and a 4x5 neg that I can enlarge quite a bit from a DSLR image (the flag on my website).
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

Quote Originally Posted by Richard M. Coda View Post
    I agree with Don, BUT, I prefer to (post Photoshop) have my file re-output to a new silver negative that I can enlarge or contact print. Results are indistinguishable from prints made with in-camera negatives. I have even made an 11x14 contact neg from a 35mm film neg (WTC on my website) and a 4x5 neg that I can enlarge quite a bit from a DSLR image (the flag on my website).
    What are the costs associated with something like that?

Richard M. Coda

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bannow View Post
    What are the costs associated with something like that?
    It is expensive, and I have posted about this before... and people have complained about the price. I have no problem spending money for a superior product/service. I'd like to know what an inkjet negative costs (including all the trial and error negs) after a final negative has been made.

Albumen Works is who I have used in the past but their website (and pricing) are under re-construction. I have attached an old price list.

There's a new place (to me) called Reflective Image Studios. They have quoted me prices of $50 for 4x5, $100 for 8x10, and $150 for 11x14 on TMax 100. They can also go up to 16x20 but I did not ask. You can contact Ludo directly at ludo@reflectiveimagestudios.com
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

Quote Originally Posted by Richard M. Coda View Post
    It is expensive, and I have posted about this before... and people have complained about the price. I have no problem spending money for a superior product/service. I'd like to know what an inkjet negative costs (including all the trial and error negs) after a final negative has been made.

Albumen Works is who I have used in the past but their website (and pricing) are under re-construction. I have attached an old price list.

There's a new place (to me) called Reflective Image Studios. They have quoted me prices of $50 for 4x5, $100 for 8x10, and $150 for 11x14 on TMax 100. They can also go up to 16x20 but I did not ask. You can contact Ludo directly at ludo@reflectiveimagestudios.com
    Thanks for that - not cheap, but not horrible for the occasional job either.