Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are my new posts suppressed?

Thumbs down Why are my new posts suppressed?

Whenever I'm the last poster in a thread, that thread does not show up in the "New Posts" search.

Why not?

For example, I just started a new thread.
    It does not show up in New Posts.
    Someone responded.
    It does show up in New Posts.
    I replied.
    It does not show up in New Posts.

This makes no sense. It's "new", in the sense that it contains new information, so why is it being suppressed.

This is not a "default" action by the vBulletin software. I'm on other fora that use the same software and this problem does not occur.

I'm not taking this personally. I assume the same thing happens to everyone.

- Leigh

Re: Why are my new posts suppressed?

Because you are the author - it's the same for everyone. When you look at New Posts, the software will not take your own posts into consideration - sort of like "you should know what you posted last and therefore no need to show you your own posts".
    Juergen

Hi Juergen,

Yes, I understand what's going on. That's not the question.

I like to read my posts after they go up, to make sure the text flows properly, means what I intended, that I didn't make a typo, etc.

There's absolutely no excuse for suppressing the author's posts. This is not a default setting on vBulletin. I'm active on many other sites that use vBulletin, and none of them do this.

The site administrator had to set the option intentionally. My point is that the setting should be changed.

Thanks.

- Leigh

The software sees that you have looked at it already so it doesn't consider it a new post. Go to Quick links and click on todays posts and you will get what you want. You also have the option of previewing your entry before actually posting it.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Beasley View Post
    The software sees that you have looked at it already so it doesn't consider it a new post.
    Gary,

Shouldn't your post then appear in the part under the "Threads Already Read" demarcation? Doesn't on mine.

My concern is the way that this site seems to randomly fail to bring up any posts when using Apple Internet-viewing software. A real PITA when you have to read new posts/threads via the"Mark Forums Read" button!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Hi Gary,

I realize that.

But it doesn't address the original question of an improper option setting on the part of the admin. As I said before, it's not a default for the vBulletin software.

The term "new" has a temporal quality. If something is more recent than the last delimiting timestamp, then it's "new".

- Leigh

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Try looking in "Todays Posts" rather than "New Posts"

It does not appear in chronological order (Last Posted) under Unified View either.

This is a relatively recent behaviour, last month or so, and it definitely wasn't like this before.

Sounds like the global settings were changed without an announcement. Not the end of the world, but it is annoying.

To clarify, when I made the previous post and then hit "Unified View", I would expect the thread with my post to show up sorted chronologically, with my post as last posted and the thread marked as read (by me).

What happened instead was that the thread showed marked as read (correct), with my post as last made (correct) but still listed behind other threads last modified earlier than that (incorrect).

This is wrong, IMO, because it overrides the standard and expected behaviour. The most recent post is the most recent post and should be listed as such, regardless of the author and/or whether it's been read or not.

Old School Wayne

Having a hard time understanding what the fuss is about. Maybe I'm oblivious but I havent noticed anything different, and certainly not anything "suppressive, improper or wrong". But I'll look more closely when I post this.