Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking at Microtek scanners, any advice?

Looking at Microtek scanners, any advice?

Hi all.
    First post here.

I am looking at purchasing, oh, from what I've gathered I'm looking at getting either one of the (oldish) used Microtek Artixscan scanners, 1800 or 2500 series probably.

When I've looked at reviews etc of these scanners, most of the info is from 2001 or so. Can anyone tell me if there has been any updated info about the better scanners to get for slides and/or art-type scans?

Just wondering if there have been any advances made in competitors to these affordable quality scanners? Or, is there any preference to particular models in these Microtek ranges? I think some I've seen are 1800f, 2500f, etc?

Thanks for any help...

Dan

Re: Looking at Microtek scanners, any advice?

I like the ArtixScan M1 that I have - I feel it was a step up from the Epson 4870 that I was using before. Having the separate scan drawer instead of using the glass bed seems a lot easier, and I have less dust to deal with after a scan.

I thought Microtek stopped selling in the US some time ago.

Get an Epson, Smith.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Microtek M1 was the latest-last one I think, the Epson 4990 was the competitor. You can find used or refurbished Epson 4990s for $200 or so. The M1 was more expensive but less reliable, I think performance was a wash.

Preston Birdwell

I like my 1800f for 4x5 and for documents, but for 35mm and medium format, it's not really up to the task to create high quality scans for larger prints.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

I have an ArtixScan M1. I like the results with it but it is SLOW! And it grunts and groans a lot when scanning, too.

Buy one. I have the F1 - its great.
    Be a slave to technology, or shoot film.
    www.abriefvisionoftime.com
    www.photorepair.com.au

Arca-Swiss

Watch out for these older ones though. Drivers for the newer OS are hard to find.
    V750 m Pro is an excellent one though above the others in price. V700 not bad.
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com

The Epsons have Digital ICE-- don't believe that the Microteks have it (actual IR channel implementation, not just some software solution)?

I have the Microtek F1 (european version of the M1, but is includes some kind of ICE). I have mexed feeling with this scanner. It can do a VERY good job if it gets the focus right. It is laud and slow but with 4x5 I find the speed OK. The Dmax is rather good. I have troubles with color calibration (yes, still - not enough time), but I would assign that to operator problem (intel inside, idiot outside .. ).

he holders are quite good. I do not use the ICE - I use pressurized (canned) gas and get I am left with very little dust afterwards.

The scanner has a tendency to get faint strips on the scan in the direction in which the head moves - probably a tiny spec of dust somewhere. The first time I sent it back to microtek, but now I have to deal with it myself somehow.

And it is noisy. We have 2 room apartment and my wife is getting crazy if I scan for a longer time.

One of the weak points for me is the software - I use the Silverfast Studio 'something', but it really aches. Slow response, bad layout, stability.

So - it can deliver decent results, but it requires patience.
    Matus