I am trying to decide whether to use an enlarged 4x5 image or an 8x10 contact print for the print exchange. The dilemma I am having is that I really dislike the look of an 8x10 contact print on 8x10 paper with that stupid black border. The 4x5 is simple, enlarge to about 8x10 and print on 11x14 paper which gives you about a 2 inch white border, the easel blades make nice crisp edges to the image and that makes me happy. To contact print on 11x14 paper with an 8x10 negative without a mask of some sort leaves a giant black border which is even uglier than that stupid little black border on 8x10 paper.

So I made up a masking frame using a piece of 11x14 picture frame glass and some black duct tape which crops the negative about 1/8 inch on all sides. Duct tape on top of glass, negative taped by the corners with scotch tape to the bottom of the glass. The resulting contact print on 11x14 paper is perfect and exactly the look I was trying to achieve……..as long as you view from about 10 feet away because any closer and the jagged edge of the duct tape shows up.

I assume there is an easy way to achieve the look I am after with crisp edges but after a very long search on this site as well as on Azo Forum and a google search I came up with no results.

Since I am still without (but hopefully have one on the way soon) an 8x10 enlarger, contact printing is my only solution for 8x10 negatives.

This is a scan of the not so crisp edge left by the duct tape.

Any help would be greatly appreciated