Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: My New Wilderness 8x10

Re: My New Wilderness 8x10

When looking at the photos carefully I noticed that the focus track slides through a shorter "keeper" track attached to the bed of the camera. The focus track is held in place only by a short 3-4 inch metal piece up front with a dovetail inner shape. On the Chamonix and I think the Phillips that sort of piece runs the length of the bed, all the way back to near the focus knob.
    Seems like the front standard and lens and focus track might sag downward at the front as the weight of it are extended outward - kind of pivot on a too short "keeper" at the front of the bed.
    Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Looks like something I'd love in the 5x7 version
    They do show a 5x7 version on their website -

On the pictures of the 5x7 you can see that the focus end knob of the extension track is up in the air. The focus track and the camera bed touch only where they meet in the front. That is where the short bracket block type part is located. Have to wonder how sturdy it is under the weight.

I've read somewhere that this camera is made by Shen Hao.

Quote Originally Posted by Nana Sousa Dias View Post
    I've read somewhere that this camera is made by Shen Hao.
    I don't think so. Admittedly I am very new to LF, but I saw an 8x10 Wilderness camera on Hong Kong Island a few months ago. I spoke to the owner briefly, I recall he said that the camera is very difficult to get in Hong Kong but he had a friend/contact that helped him. I asked if it was related to Shen Hao but he said that it was made in completely different part of China - up north somewhere (not Shanghai, where Shen Hao is, right?).

It looks like a nicely made and well-designed camera. But I'm surprised that you didn't 't know if you have enough bellows draw for your lenses. Did you check the specs before buying it? I did a quick search for it and came up with the specs instantly but it appears they make more than one version because I found two different maximum bellows draw. One has very limited bellows draw for an 8x10" camera and I would avoid it for that reason. Of course, that depends on what you are using it for. I'm also surprised that you are deciding between 300 and 360mm lenses because they are so close in focal length unless you are planning on using the camera for a single specialized purpose. The difference between 240 and 360 is significant but 300 and 360 is really splitting hairs. All else being equal, I would opt of the 360mm because it should have more coverage. That said, any decent 8x10" camera should easily have enough bellows draw for a 360mm lens unless it is made specifically for wide-angle work. After all, a 360mm lens is really just about a "normal" lens for 8x10.

Again, it looks like a very well-made camera and it's always encouraging to see new large format cameras being introduced these days.

http://tjohnstonphoto.com/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ZoneIII
    http://www.ilfordphoto.com/photocomm...allery.asp?n=3

I would sure like to hear & see more about this 8x10 camera.

Montreal , Canada. Los Angeles, California

I also emailed the company twice regarding the camera but no reply. Sounds like it's well made.

Unhappy Re: My New Wilderness 8x10

Hi ,I'm a Chinese and i'm using wildness 810 III. I find a lot of people interesed in wildness here, but seems, it is a little difficult to get exact information over sea . So I registered , and very glade to share the information I konw.
    Mr Gao, an engineer, I think he is retired now. He designed Wildness personally, and find help to manufacture the parts in a military facoty, so there are no packing , boxs , manual .......
    Based on the feedback from about 40 Wildness users , Mr Gao refined and manufactured III version this year. It is a very steady camera( I use apo symmar 360 , sinaron 240), easy to rear up, easy to pack up, easy to use at all. I haven't found any big defect until now.
    Mr Gao also design and manufacture sepecial version based on customer's request. ZoneIII mentioned he found a very limited bellows version before,I think it was for sepecial request.
    Wildness already has 5x7 size.
    Mr Gao is designing a multifunctional rear back, with which, you can take 4X10 , 5x8 easily. pls refer this picture.
    http://www7.xitek.com/forum/201107/2...1309598652.jpg

Because I 'm not good at English writing , pls make do with what I wrote.If you have question , I will contat Mr Gao and reply asap.

Montreal , Canada. Los Angeles, California

Quote Originally Posted by joica View Post
    Hi ,I'm a Chinese and i'm using wildness 810 III. I find a lot of people interesed in wildness here, but seems, it is a little difficult to get exact information over sea . So I registered , and very glade to share the information I konw.
    Mr Gao, an engineer, I think he is retired now. He designed Wildness personally, and find help to manufacture the parts in a military facoty, so there are no packing , boxs , manual .......
    Based on the feedback from about 40 Wildness users , Mr Gao refined and manufactured III version this year. It is a very steady camera( I use apo symmar 360 , sinaron 240), easy to rear up, easy to pack up, easy to use at all. I haven't found any big defect until now.
    Mr Gao also design and manufacture sepecial version based on customer's request. ZoneIII mentioned he found a very limited bellows version before,I think it was for sepecial request.
    Wildness already has 5x7 size.
    Mr Gao is designing a multifunctional rear back, with which, you can take 4X10 , 5x8 easily. pls refer this picture.
    http://www7.xitek.com/forum/201107/2...1309598652.jpg

Because I 'm not good at English writing , pls make do with what I wrote.If you have question , I will contat Mr Gao and reply asap.
    Hi,
    I'm very interested in this camera for my Ankor trip. Please PM me or keep us posted if you have Mr Gao contact info ? I assumed he speaks English if not I will have my brother in law Hugo to contact him for me . Thanks a bunch.