Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My New Wilderness 8x10

Celticexplorer

My New Wilderness 8x10

Yesterday I took delivery of my new Wilderness 8x10 from China. I was not sure what to expect as I could find no information at all from anyone who had bought or handled one. So when opening the box I was a bit nervous. When I took it from its wrapping I knew that I had bought the right camera. Its an all metal 8x10 field camera built in with a design not unlike a Phillips Compact . For an all metal camera it's light at around 8-9 pounds..I have not weighed it yet. It has been engineered like a tank with every part being a metal of some sort. It was easy to erect, locks off to become very stable and has all of the movements that I will ever need. I put my 360 onto it which it seemed to handle fine though my work horse will be either my 240mm or my yet to be purchased 300mm...over 360 I am not sure if it would have all of the extension required. As of yet I have not had it in the field...it just came yesterday but I cannot wait to do so. I wanted a camera that was a modern and had all of the advantages of the best cameras on the market today... and I think that I have found it. I have no idea who designed or built it or where the factory is...but whoever you are thank you very much...I think I have my 10x8 for life..

Re: My New Wilderness 8x10

Well ... where are the pictures of it? Don't leave us in suspense.

Celticexplorer

Celticexplorer

Next week I will do a video of it with its movements and will post it on you tube for you to see..

Woowee, it takes the Sinar shutter. I believe I just found my next camera. Let's hear all about it.

Bob

Celticexplorer

Hi Bob....when I looked at the images that the seller had on his site everything seemed good except for the fact that the rear standard pivots from the bottom and didn't seem to have a brace that attached to the center of the standard..like most other cameras...so this was the first thing that checked..It locks off more sturdy than my Sinar F2 8x10 and much more than my Linhof Technikardan 45...The rear standard clicks into postion and the whole locks off to become very rigid...saying all of this though the proof will be in the pudding...once I have shot something I will post again with my thoughts..

Wow, that looks really good. And 2100 dollars for a brand new metal 8x10" camera is not bad at all.
    All metal and only 3.75 kg!

Drew Wiley

The link shows it weighing in at 8-1/4lb, and with 640mm of bellows extension, which
    means even a 600 lens should be usable with a tophat, or at inifinity without one.
    I'd be curious about the quality of the bellows material and of the central focus screw.

Octogenarian

Judging from the pictures on the BH Camera website, The Wildermess 8x0 has features that are similar to the all metal KB Canham JMC 810.

Folds like the Canham and has rear base tilt like the Canham. However, it uses a lead screw focusing mechanism similar to the Phillips.

The pictures show a Sinar to Linhof Tech lens board, as well as a Sinar shutter. Are these options?

A great combination of two outstanding camera designs.

If the build quality is high, this camera should prove to be a winner.

Hope the OP keeps us informed.

Please, make a review and let me know, i am still planning to get 8x10 field camera and not sure which one yet, so if your camera satisfying you and you like it then i may think about it as well.

And forgot to say, CONGRATS!!!

Now i am waiting you work out of it.