Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 14x17 Chamonix

Montreal , Canada. Los Angeles, California

Re: 14x17 Chamonix

Quote Originally Posted by cdholden View Post
    Tri/Jim,
    Maybe this question is best asked separately, but I'll try it as a general question first. Do either of you find large differences in working with X-ray film to get desired results in Platinum or Carbon, as opposed to the typical panchromatic film used for silver gelatin prints?
    I've been reading and am contemplating trying Carbon. X-ray film would certainly provide a cost benefit if the learning curve isn't too big.
    Thanks.
    Chris
    It requires a little learning curve with the X-ray film. The TLC loading/unloading/handle X-ray film through the whole process is crucial. I used D76 and it gives a great contrast density,details for Carbon and Platinum printing compared to panchro film but not recomended for Gelatin Silver Print.

Demo 20x24 Chamonix convertible back .

funkadelic

I'll take a shot at Carbon in the spring when more free time comes my way. It sounds like I should stick with panchromatic film for starting out, but I'll definitely be trying X-ray film once I get the basics down.
    Thank you both for your input.
    Chris

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Chris I feel that this is a good approach. Lean the process with the film you are used to using and developing and then branch into x-ray film as there are some differences. Let me know if you have any questions when you get started.

Jim

For your preview . This one taken with 14x17 Chamonix today . Vet X Ray film with 355 G Claron for this shot . The neg developped in the tray , came out flawless without any scratches that I noticed. Unsharped & unadjusted contrast scanned.

Tri, looks very good to me! Nice to know that box of film is in good hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Tri, looks very good to me! Nice to know that box of film is in good hands.
    You bet. Thanks again for a New Year Gift. Looking forward to this weekend.

Nice!

At what speed did you shoot, and how exactly did you process that X-ray film?

Thanks,

Cor
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri Tran View Post
    For your preview . This one taken with 14x17 Chamonix today . Vet X Ray film with 355 G Claron for this shot . The neg developped in the tray , came out flawless without any scratches that I noticed. Unsharped & unadjusted contrast scanned.

I don't want to speak for Tri but I will. He shoots the film at ISO 80 and tray develops one at a time in D-76. I know Tri will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong. 6 minutes is all it takes and you can turn on your red safe light and watch development! Cheap and easy ULF! What is wrong with that. I mean shooting 14x17 at $.50 a sheet.

Jim....I would like to try that film soon with my 12x20. I assume I would need to get some LARGE sizes if available as I have seen some like 24x24 or therebouts. Any suggestions for this size I need and if so, which one did Tri use for the above shot? Thanks............................tw

Tav, x-ray film is not available in 24x24. The sizes as far as I know are 8x10, 11x14, 7x17, 14x17 and 14x36. Trying to cut it down is not easy and I don't recommend it. With emulsion on both sides you are going to scratch it no mater how careful you are.

The film that Tri used for the above shot is some 3M veterinary green sensitive film. I have a case of 500 sheets and I gave Tri a box of 100 as a New Years Gift. I have not shot any yet but Tri tells me it is very sharp and the negative looks great. I hope to shoot the 14x17 this weekend with this film.