Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: OK If the Chicago Snow Storm of the Century Doesn't Impede Me,

ARS KC2UU

Re: OK If the Chicago Snow Storm of the Century Doesn't Impede Me,

Quote Originally Posted by John Bowen View Post
    Having grown up in the snow belts south of Buffalo, I'm very familiar with extreme winter storms. We survived the "Bilzzard of '78" while attending college. The stories told by friends who attempted to get home to Buffalo still haunt me....riding snowmobiles over the roofs of cars abandoned on major roadways....
    I don't remember the snow totals for the blizzard of 78 but I remember the blizzard well. Here in NJ it shut down the state for a couple of days... something that never happened before.

I was renting an apartment at the time on the right side of a 3-lane one-way street. 5-lanes total if you count the left and right shoulders.

Anyway the plows came down the street in tandem and the plowed snow in my driveway was higher than the top of my snow shovel with me standing and holding it skyward as high as I could go.

So yes I do remember the work it took to finally get the car out.

Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

2 Brothers are on a long-planned ski trip to Breckenridge, CO this week. Low was Minus 31 F. ... high tomorrow is to be Plus 31 F. ... the temperature has risen 62 degrees and it's still below freezing. Brutal. They finally braved the slopes when it got up to Minus 2.

As I write this, they are hanging out at Cecilia's Martini Bar ... they have a 7-hour long Happy "Hour" from 2 p.m. to 9 p.m ... also brutal!

Am enjoying following Richard's travelogue ... keep up the posts so we know where to move the marker pin on the map.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Graves View Post
    2 Brothers are on a long-planned ski trip to Breckenridge, CO this week. Low was Minus 31 F. ... high tomorrow is to be Plus 31 F. ... the temperature has risen 62 degrees and it's still below freezing. Brutal. They finally braved the slopes when it got up to Minus 2.

As I write this, they are hanging out at Cecilia's Martini Bar ... they have a 7-hour long Happy "Hour" from 2 p.m. to 9 p.m ... also brutal!

Am enjoying following Richard's travelogue ... keep up the posts so we know where to move the marker pin on the map.
    I'm enjoying this thread more than I've followed for a while. I hope Richard's trip is fruitful and enjoyable despite the travel problems. Can't wait for his next post..Evan Clarke

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

I am copying a reply I made to a more recent thread dealing with my adventur>>>

OK, I'm online here in Joshua Tree! Illness and sporadic internet and cell coverage has made it difficult for me to post here! After a miserable start through Chicago and 2 days in bed with Flu (not Flo) in Death Valley, I finally got out Wednesday and did some photography including a rather spectacular ride through Titus Canyon. A few more photos yesterday and today I drove all the way to JT after a stop in China Ranch for a date shake. Very neat place! Tomorrow (Saturday) out at dawn to JT and back for evening light. Sunday morning off to Palm Springs area. Hoping to meet up with 3 of you in the next few days and also taking in at least 2 exhibits in Scottsdale. Man, honestly I haven't been this sick in 10 years...I was actually a little worried for a while! The weather has been amazing and I'm enjoying myself. My thanks again to all the forum sages who proffered excellent suggestions for this Canadian boy! So, look for me in Palm Springs and Scottsdale...I'll be wearing a black T-shirt....
    Laura, I'm sorry I missed you. I was quite impressed with the Shoshone area! I stopped at the little museum and even bought a book...
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Stay healthy and active ! This is the trip that everyone is following. So there is a big flock with you in spirit.

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Quote Originally Posted by Gudmundur Ingolfsson View Post
    Stay healthy and active ! This is the trip that everyone is following. So there is a big flock with you in spirit.
    Thanks Gudmundor, I appreciate your kind words.
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by Gudmundur Ingolfsson View Post
    Indeed.
    Run, Forrest! Run!