Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The future of Kodak film?

The future of Kodak film?

I have just read a very bad thread on this site about Kodak’s recent losses, and I am trying to figure out what action I should take as a LF photographer who uses both color and b&w Kodak films.

The thread is at http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=71552

In a worse case scenario, if Kodak should announce it is shutting down its film production, I believe I will have 1-6 months notice to decide if I want to secure a life time supply of film. However, if I should make such a purchase, but cannot buy the chemistry I need to process it, then what good is it.

With that in mind, I have heard that Kodak chemistry is no longer owned or made by Kodak, but rather some other company that is using Kodak’s name. If this is true, then does anyone know the name of the company that makes the Kodak chemistry? Does any one know if this company is profitable? If the company is profitable, then I would be more inclined to invest in a large purchase of film.

Re: The future of Kodak film?

buy what you can afford, or choose to buy what you want on credit. But just remember, you have to pay it off .

Personally, I've become quite content with Efke 100 and FP4+ for b/w work, and some smatterings of Tri-X(well, Arista Premium 400, same thing, just different clothes) thrown in for good measure.

B/W Film developer(Pyro-HD in my case) is capable of being scratch-mixed, I use the Photographer's Formulary glycol kit for ease of use, and my paper developer(Amidol, MAS formula) is scratch mixed by myself before every printing session.

Kodak hasn't actually "made" chemistry for a while know IIRC, they handed the reigns off to CHAMPION Chemicals I believe a # of years ago. So far so good. I'm stockpiling Selenium Toner(KRST), basically, whenever I go to buy a bottle, I buy two or three . Nothing beats being out of selenium toner when you need it!

Moreover, seeing that Kodak has just released 2 new films in the past 3 years(Ektar 100 and Porta 400), I doubt if they're looking to jump ship, especially since they probably haven't even recovered their R&D budget yet for those two emulsions. But if you can, stockpile your favorite films as much as possible, put em on ice(in the freezer), and rotate your stock as you shoot through it.

Fuji-(Hunt Chemicals Corp actually) makes C-41 and E-6 chemistry, damn fine chems if you ask me, and there are other small outfits out there making c-41 and e-6 chems as well. B&W formulas are pretty easy to scratch-mix, the formulas are generally pretty well known industry-wide, but if you're not into that thing, buy up while you can.

So basically, if you're paranoid, stock up NOW. Film prices to the best of my knowledge WON'T be going down anytime soon(if ever, wish they would), buy what you can afford while its available, and plan for as long or longer than you'll think you'll need your materials.

I've decided to take on an extra job just to help fund this little endeavor of mine . 8X10 photography isn't a cheap mistress .

on another note, I'd recommend also getting another set of bellows for your camera(if it has bellows). You'll never know when you need it, but just in case. Hedge your bets!

-Dan

I haven't seen the recent business report - but as far as I know, Kodak is profitable with making and selling film! It's the digital sector that's worrying! Their fab in Rochester is highly advanced and efficient (I think they build it in 1996).

Unless some stupid shareholder/hedgefond-BS tries to intervene (and make it a "modern" company, sending the fab/ know-how to China) they have a chance.

Film's not going to get any cheaper. It's worth buying what you can sooner than later. I'm not worried about it going away, as I've got two years worth in the freezer and two years ought to be enough time for me to get used to something else, though I really prefer the Kodak film.

B&W Chemistry is easily mixed yourself or purchased packaged from a wide variety of sources. I'm using formulary or kodak developer, ilford stop bath, foma fixer, berg hypo remover for film, and kodak or bostick&sullivan chemical products for printing.

Color chemistry (c41/e6) is also made in packaged form by a variety of sources, though not as many as B&W.

Kodak will a charge big price for the yellow box. Why do it when Foma makes boxes of film for 1/2 the price?

In any case though stock up, because I don't think the great yellow father will be around in the next decade.

Quote Originally Posted by SamReeves View Post
    Kodak will a charge big price for the yellow box. Why do it when Foma makes boxes of film for 1/2 the price?
    TMY-2. 400Portra.

The price of film is small compared to the price of a photography trip. That's why I use the highest quality film I can.

Bruce Watson

If people keep buying film they will keep making film.
    It may or may not be Kodak but someone will make film if there is demand for film.
    Buy your favorite film and use it up, then buy more. That's about all there is to do.

I've stocked up on enough Ilford film to get me through the summer, but I shoot B&W, not color and I don't (or rather cannot afford to) buy Kodak in 8x10 format. Color would be a different consideration----B&W ages well, I would be worried about long term color film storage though. I think I would get started on learning to love Fuji color materials, just in case.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    TMY-2. 400Portra.

The price of film is small compared to the price of a photography trip. That's why I use the highest quality film I can.

Exactly, Bruce! Wondering if this sheet or this roll is a good one or a bad one is not conducive to producing good images.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SW Rick View Post
    Exactly, Bruce! Wondering if this sheet or this roll is a good one or a bad one is not conducive to producing good images.
    Bruce, more than true.

But I have so far had not any single sheet of film from Foma "defective". True I have mishandled quite a lot, scratched a few, but I would not blame them... And those Ilford films I have used are even more scratch resistant (in my handling) than Foma/Efke/Wephota.

Yes, the films behave in a different way in their response to light, Foma 100 is terrible with the reciprocity failure...

I have used very few Kodak films because the price/performance value is not right...
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").