Thread: Armed with a scanner, many questions!

Armed with a scanner, many questions!

After months of tinkering with LF, I went "all in" and got a scanner so I can share and print my work. I have an Epson 750. A couple of quick questions. I know there's a lot to learn but these two will get me moving in the right direction.

1) Any quick tips on adjusting focus for 4x5 negatives using the Epson negative carrier? Or should I just skip it and use the BetterScanning product. The product literature mentions adjustable focus (on some products) but I can't find directions for it in the on-line manual.

2) Does the Epson negative carrier cut off the film edges/notch code all by itself or am I missing something? I'd like to keep the edges for both reference and stylistic purposes.

As always, thanks for the help.

Stefan

Re: Armed with a scanner, many questions!

There is an unreadable area at the edge of the film, since that area is used to support the film. Mount your film and look at the holder. If you can't see the edges, neither can the scanner

You can information about how to adjust focus here:
    http://files.support.epson.com/htmld...ug/probs_4.htm

Adjusting focus is basically trial and error. Scan the same negative at all three settings (neutral, +, -) and determine which one looks best. Personally, I get the best result using the "+" setting.

Quote Originally Posted by engl View Post
    There is an unreadable area at the edge of the film, since that area is used to support the film. Mount your film and look at the holder. If you can't see the edges, neither can the scanner
    Understood. I didn't articulate my question properly.

Is there a carrier (Better Scanning?) that does not obstruct the edges or am I better off skipping the carrier altogether?

Either get a piece of Anti-Newton's Ring glass and suspend it over the scanner glass via shims, or get a Better Scanning holder.

I opted for the latter. I like the fact that it has adjustable screws.

There's more to it, than just cropping: These Epson scanners have best focus just above the glass.

You might find this helpful. Here are my own results with illustrative photos.

Stefan

I can't speak about the Better Scanning holder as I have not used one, just pointing out that the V700 holders *do* have height adjustment unlike the ones included with older scanners (the ones linked by Ken Lee).

Personally I'd like to find a comparison between V700 focus-adjusted stock holders and wet mounting using a focus-adjusted Better Scanning holder.