Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Expat in Switzerland

American Expat in Switzerland

Hello All,

I have already learned a great deal from the posts in this forum so I thought it was time I joined.

I'm just getting into large format after spending 2010 rediscovering film with MF. Large Format seems like a great way to capture the natural beauty of my adopted home here in Zürich.

I look forward to participating in the forums!

Re: American Expat in Switzerland

Welcome! I spent a few summers in a Wallis. I love swiss wines!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Welcome to group therapy! Have you already started shooting LF or are you shopping for a starting camera/lens? Lots of good info on this site.

Hi Welcome!

Then we should do a meeting in the future I'm a bit near to Lucerne then Zürich, but not by much!

Cheers Armin

Welcome Clint! I'm in Zürich nearly every July - If I see another LF-er, I'll wave madly!

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I am on the waiting list for a Chamonix 045N-2, but I couldn't wait any longer so I've picked up a used Toyo 45A off an online auction site. I am still waiting for it to arrive. It appears to be in great shape with a new bellows so I either got a decent deal on it ($600) or someone screwed up the bellows installation and is trying to get rid of it (and is defrauding me in the process).

I also picked up a used Schneider APO Symmar 150mm f5.6 lens which seems to be more than good enough for a beginner like me.

Armin, that would be great. I'm actually South of Zürich anyway in Adliswil so we're probably quite close.

Marc, I'll wave madly as well!

Director @ Images Argentiques sultanofcognac's Avatar

Salut Clint,

I also 'live' in CH. . . since 1997 (also an American expat). I spend my time between there and France. I lived in Wädenswil for almost six years (give the brewery there a visit!), and later in Avenches.

I'll be in ZH around the 20th of Feb if you'd like to meet for a cupli and shoot at something ;-) Let me know, as I'll be driving from France and will bring something LF if so.

Cheers,

Johnny
    Are we truly creative, or simply too lethargic to become pedestrian?

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Chadwick View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome!

I am on the waiting list for a Chamonix 045N-2, but I couldn't wait any longer so I've picked up a used Toyo 45A off an online auction site. I am still waiting for it to arrive. It appears to be in great shape with a new bellows so I either got a decent deal on it ($600) or someone screwed up the bellows installation and is trying to get rid of it (and is defrauding me in the process).

I also picked up a used Schneider APO Symmar 150mm f5.6 lens which seems to be more than good enough for a beginner like me.

Armin, that would be great. I'm actually South of Zürich anyway in Adliswil so we're probably quite close.

Marc, I'll wave madly as well!
    Ha, funny. I'm also in Zurich ("born and raised" as they say ) and am also on the waiting list for a Chamonix 045N-2. The waiting time is a bit annoying but I'm pretty low on cash at the moment anyway so maybe it's good that I have to wait .

Since you're new in this city I can give you some information that might be useful to you.

Here are a few of the pro labs that process 4x5:
    http://www.hebting.ch/
    http://www.laboratorium.ch/
    http://www.tricolor.ch/
    http://www.gwerderart.ch/
    http://www.studio13.ch/

I use Hebting as it's in my neighborhood but I'm sure the others are good, too. Hebting and Gwerder also sell film and at least Hebting also sells some chemistry.
    However, if you want chemistry and lab accessories your best bet is Eschenmoser which is a branch of the electronics store Fust. It's right at the tram stop "Werd" (Trams 9 and 14). You can also order quite a lot from www.ars-imago.ch .

As you have probably already noticed, prices for film are pretty steep around here so I usually place large orders either from online stores in the US like B&H or, when the Euro is as low as it is right now, also from Germany from www.macodirect.de or www.fotoimpex.de.

That's all I can think of right now but if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Confidently Agnostic!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie123 View Post
    prices for film are pretty steep around here
    Switzerland? Expensive? No way!
    Walter Ash
    Vancouver / Victoria BC
    http://ashphotography.ca

Quote Originally Posted by walter23 View Post
    Switzerland? Expensive? No way!
    Well, given that Switzerland has 8% VAT, while e.g. Germany has 19% VAT and given that currently the Swiss Frank is valued very high compared to the Euro and the Dollar, logic would say that the same product from the US or Japan, imported in Germany or imported in Switzerland should be cheaper in Switzerland.

In fact the dealers in Switzerland seem to put the currency and tax advance in their pockets and sell the customer the same product for a higher price. So some people buy from across the border.