Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Portraits of Australian Criminals in the 1920s

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Portraits of Australian Criminals in the 1920s

Kind of a redundant use of two words isn't it?

However this copper was an artist!

http://www.laboiteverte.fr/portraits...s-annees-1920/

multiplex

Re: Portraits of Australian Criminals in the 1920s

thanks for this link frank ..
    it amazes me how classy everyone
    looked in the 1920s ...

I saw this book in Guggenheim Bilbao book shop some time ago. It was in English and short notes about folks pictured there was very interesting reading..
    Thanks,
    Igor.

More in terms of trying to save money, I always admired the early mug shots at the
    Territorial Prison, in Yuma, AZ, USA.
    Arizona didn't become a state until 1912, the last of the lower 48.
    By using a mirror, they could get a face-on, and profile in one shot.

http://www.roadtripamerica.com/places/yuma.htm

This is a prime example of the Australian cultural cringe, theese are hosted in france. They are an odd lot in Australia. They should be very proud of theese.

Ross

Quote Originally Posted by mdm View Post
    This is a prime example of the Australian cultural cringe, theese are hosted in france. They are an odd lot in Australia. They should be very proud of theese.
    Indeed, that's why they were presented in a carefully restored and curated show at the Justice and Police Museum in Sydney from November 2005 to November 2006. A book of the show (ISBN 1 876991 20 8) was published by the Historic Houses Trust of New South Wales at the time, and I recommend it to anyone who enjoys vernacular photography. Many of these were banged off in the yard at the back of the station by the first available walloper.

RE Odd Australians: I had occasion to use TVNZ footage of the Bastion Point demo which was a pivotal moment in New Zealand history. It was spliced with some crap sticky tape with no archival qualities and the lab could hardly get it through the printer. No attempt had been made to preserve this material. Now THAT'S odd (and cringeworthy)

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Chambers View Post
    Indeed, that's why they were presented in a carefully restored and curated show at the Justice and Police Museum in Sydney from November 2005 to November 2006. A book of the show (ISBN 1 876991 20 8) was published by the Historic Houses Trust of New South Wales at the time, and I recommend it to anyone who enjoys vernacular photography. Many of these were banged off in the yard at the back of the station by the first available walloper.

RE Odd Australians: I had occasion to use TVNZ footage of the Bastion Point demo which was a pivotal moment in New Zealand history. It was spliced with some crap sticky tape with no archival qualities and the lab could hardly get it through the printer. No attempt had been made to preserve this material. Now THAT'S odd (and cringeworthy)
    Settle down. I read those names very carefully, before looking. No surprises, thankfully.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by mdm View Post
    You root sheep and you have the temerity to call us odd?

But, on a lighter note, I would doubt that there is any cultural cringe here. We have many, many urban heroes of a very shady nature (Ned Kelly and Mark "Chopper" Read to name but 2), so nothing embarrassing there.

More likely that someone stole these, headed back to the Ol' Dart and sold them.

If we got them back, there'd probably be a Public Holiday gazetted...
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 617 View Post

More likely that someone stole these, headed back to the Ol' Dart and sold them.

If we got them back, there'd probably be a Public Holiday gazetted...
    For heaven's sake; from the book intro (a short quote for discussion purposes, allowed in the copyright regime--I wonder about the copyright of the French site??)

"In the late 1980s a vast collection of forensic crime photography, created by the New South Wales Police between 1912 and 1960, was rescued by the Historic Houses Trust from a flooded warehouse. (...)

"We salvaged about four tonnes of photographic material, including many glass plate negatives still in their original Kodak boxes, and transferred them to cavernous loft of the museum. (...)

"Fifteen years later, after a great deal of study, the Trust has published this selection of photographs from its extraordinary archive to coincide with the 'City of Shadows' exhibition."

The book is Copyright 2005.

Did the French seek permission? Who are the crims?

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

It really makes me wonder why they were arrested. I see that "E. Falleni" has two photos, one of him wearing what I guess is some kind of work shirt, and the other of him in a three-piece suit. I wonder if even mug shots were special events, so they got themselves dressed up for it.