Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Last of the Kodachrome - Tribute

Last of the Kodachrome - Tribute

I did my share of Kodachrome in the 70's, 80's and even into the 90's. I really won't miss the film at all except for its archival properties and the reminders of the many travels and good times I had with it. I always hated how it rendered foliage, but boy, those reds and yellows! Hell, I even shot a picture of a "Kodak Picture Spot" sign with it.

Since I still had two rolls tucked away in the freezer, I thought I would make my own tribute to the colorful film that it was in its day.

Please add your own tributes of or images shot with Kodachrome to the thread.

This is from yesterday on 4x5 Acros in Rodinal with a no-name 8 1/4" Petzval at f32.
    After scanning, the image was colorized in Photoshop.

Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

Re: Last of the Kodachrome - Tribute

Me 57 years ago on Kodak Kodachrome taken with an Argus C3. My father has really nice Chromes from the Korean war when he served in the US Navy on an oiler. Thousands of Kodachromes. Some as old as 60 years and still scan-able.

http://web.me.com/photobymike/main/mike.html

This past summer I loaded my last roll of 35mm Kodachrome 64 into my Nikon FM, loaded some B&W 120 into my Minolta Autocord TLR, put both into my camera bag along with a Minolta meter, strapped the little Domke bag to the back seat of my motorcycle and headed out.

I was stopped at a light after about 45 minutes of riding and the guy in a truck next to me honked. When I looked at him he was pointing to the back of my bike. I looked behind me and all that was left was a tie-down strap dragging behind me. I almost cried...no, I think I did weep a little, as I retraced my path down numerous roads in Reedsville, NC hoping that I'd find the little beige bag along side the road.
    Never did.

I think I would have been less upset if it had of been my Canon 5D that I lost.

Here is my Dad and Grandmother taken on Kodachrome about '55 or '56.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Here is my Dad and Grandmother taken on Kodachrome about '55 or '56.

Wow! What a lovely shot!

I never shot a lot of Kodachrome before but rather like the unusual pallette and look it can give, especially when projected. When the discontinuation was announced I went a little nuts and bought up a bunch on eBay, shooting a total of 15 rolls. I'm still waiting for the last three rolls back from Dwayne's.

Is it ok to post Kodachrome images in this thread, though? This was posted in the image sharing forum which is supposed to be for LF images only. Maybe a move to another forum where 35mm images are allowed?

Actually, I was hoping to see some large format Kodachromes. I've only been shooting LF for 6 years, so I'm not even sure that Kodachrome was available as sheet film.

If none appear after a while, maybe the moderators could move this to a different forum that would allow 35mm images.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

Kodachrome sheet film was only made in the 1940s, effectively it's been gone for 60 years. Kodak gave some to Ansel Adams and Edward Weston to test/use, if you look for their work in color you'll find some examples. They were testing the first Ektachrome at the same time; not surprisingly the Kodachromes have survived better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Cole View Post
    Actually, I was hoping to see some large format Kodachromes. I've only been shooting LF for 6 years, so I'm not even sure that Kodachrome was available as sheet film.

If none appear after a while, maybe the moderators could move this to a different forum that would allow 35mm images.
    I think Kodachrome was available in sheets many years ago. I got into photography in high school in the late 1970s and it was 35mm only by then. They later made it in 120 for a while, but it hasn't been available in sheet sizes in decades.

EDIT: According to Wikipedia, Kodachrome was only available in sheets from 1938-1951:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodachr...oduct_timeline

Not likely anyone on here actually shot any of it, but I suppose it's remotely possible.

I think I shot one roll of 120 size K'Chrome, ISO 200, back in the mid 1980's. I will look around and see if I can dig it out. I don't remember what is on it.