Thread: Lightware V400 users

Lightware V400 users

Anyone here using a Lightware case to carry their monorail camera? I've seen them suggested here in response to other posters looking for a case to carry the camera on the rail, but can't find any real reviews of them. They aren't a regular stock item at the big shops, so I'd like to know how "useable" they are before I consider the purchase

Most of my shooting is close to the car. I'd like to carry a Sinar F2 on the rail, a couple of lenses, film holders, meter, loupe, maybe a set of filters and hood at some point. Will it all fit in the bag?

Right now I have the rig collapsed and am carrying it in a backpack but it doesn't sit/lay flat in the bag and so I'm concerned about it bashing into other things. Would also prefer to be able to just remove it from the bag and shoot.

The product description mentions compartments. Does stuff start sloshing around in the bag when it is carried or will I need to put stuff into pouches?

Thanks
    Bob

Re: Lightware V400 users

I make an enclosure for the F2 that will fit in most backpacks, Bob.
    Bruce

That new Photobackpacker enclosure is a great idea. If I went to a Sinar again I'd jump to get that and use a backpack as well.

I've had the large Lightware and Tenba "hanging" monorail cases before and they are both excellent. I think f/64 makes a similar style case too. I think Lightware is probably the best build quality, although Tenba is probably as good.

Both are similar to the old fiberboard or Anvil style cases that have been around for years but updated with the thicker, lighter foam and Nylon coverings. They are airline-checkable and durable, but note that they are still going to put you near or over the airline 50lb limit for normal checked luggage.

Still they are quite a bit lighter than Anvil (Calzone) or Pelican style cases. But... you can stand on an Anvil case.

In use, they are pretty large. Like good for station wagons and SUVs but not so great for carrying or smaller cars. They are nice to work out of and pretty bombproof. The monorail hangs, there are straps, things don't jostle around but when flying it isn't a bad idea to wrap the darkcloth around the camera or shove some bubblewrap in there to keep it snug. There is certainly plenty of room for holders, Polaroid (?), lenses, and accessories.

I don't think they ever made a real 8x10 monorail case. I used a Lightware 16x29 (x9) case (suitcase style) for my 8x10 Norma. There are also people who will make similar style cases for ULF and custom cameras.

With the weight limits airlines impose it gets harder to ship this stuff, you're paying an arm and leg sometimes, so maybe the Photobackpacker has the right idea?

Sounds like there's plenty of room. What made you switch to hard case?

I'm on the fence between trying to wedge it into something inconspicuous and a hard case with wheels. Hard case screams look at me.

BTW you were right on the money with the Sinar. Much different than the wooden box cameras; you set something and it stays set.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    That new Photobackpacker enclosure is a great idea. If I went to a Sinar again I'd jump to get that and use a backpack as well.

I've had the large Lightware and Tenba "hanging" monorail cases before and they are both excellent. I think f/64 makes a similar style case too. I think Lightware is probably the best build quality, although Tenba is probably as good.

Both are similar to the old fiberboard or Anvil style cases that have been around for years but updated with the thicker, lighter foam and Nylon coverings. They are airline-checkable and durable, but note that they are still going to put you near or over the airline 50lb limit for normal checked luggage.

Still they are quite a bit lighter than Anvil (Calzone) or Pelican style cases. But... you can stand on an Anvil case.

In use, they are pretty large. Like good for station wagons and SUVs but not so great for carrying or smaller cars. They are nice to work out of and pretty bombproof. The monorail hangs, there are straps, things don't jostle around but when flying it isn't a bad idea to wrap the darkcloth around the camera or shove some bubblewrap in there to keep it snug. There is certainly plenty of room for holders, Polaroid (?), lenses, and accessories.

I don't think they ever made a real 8x10 monorail case. I used a Lightware 16x29 (x9) case (suitcase style) for my 8x10 Norma. There are also people who will make similar style cases for ULF and custom cameras.

With the weight limits airlines impose it gets harder to ship this stuff, you're paying an arm and leg sometimes, so maybe the Photobackpacker has the right idea?

I don't have a monorail these days so I don't have either kind of case. I think though, next time I want a monorail, I will not plan to fly around with it so I will simply use something cheap, like an Igloo ice chest ;-) If I did have to fly or travel I could disassemble it to make it as compact as possible.

It's all trade-offs/no right answers.... I know that when I drive around with a camera actively shooting that I will just lay it in the backseat of the car, throw a blanket over it, buckle it in maybe. I used to put the 8x10 in a plastic Milk crate upside down for easy access.... and truth be told, that's all it ever needed for protection. You can always put it in a plastic bag to prevent dust. Going between the house to car to slinging it over your shoulder to do a shot - well, when does it really need to be so perfectly cased?

Quote Originally Posted by Photobackpacker View Post
    I make an enclosure for the F2 that will fit in most backpacks, Bob.
    Ok. I'll bite. It looks as if you've compressed the standards together and they are sitting in a sleeve. That makes sense. How are you getting the rail to sit like that; is it supported underneath by other items in the bag?

In my bag, the whole rig sits lopsided if I try to lie the standards on their side like that.

Will your sleeve buckle into my Igloo cooler

Can you provide a direct link to the product? I checked your site but all I see is the Arca F line, and no picture. Thanks
    Last edited by Bob Kerner; 30-Jan-2011 at 07:44. Reason: added last sentence

Sorry for not answering, Bob. I have been trying to finalize the 5x7 and 8x10 filmholder case samples.

The enclosure is designed to be used in my backpacking system. The enclosure attaches to the backerboard which stablizes it. The two straps secure the camera in the enclosure so it doesn't move. In the backpacking system, the enclosure can be used with the rail lengthwise in the pack or, more practically, with a 12 inch rail across the top.

Using it in an igloo cooler would not be practical.

Bruce
    Bruce