Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Which brand of 4x5 filmholder is best?

Re: Which brand of 4x5 filmholder is best?

I use Toyo and Grafmatic holders. I am glad to hear that the Toyos (and the Grafmatics for that matter) are so good. One pull of a dark slide from a Toyo will tell you how well they are made though. I bought all of mine used from someone in Japan, and have several types; some with shiny slides and some matt slides. None of them stink. I tried to get some Linhof holders too but they are scarce. I have used all of the other types of holders over the years and the Toyos are like using a fine fountain pen vs. using a Bic. There is something very pleasurable in using one which makes it more enjoyable to make images, which is what I like to do.

I am not sure why people argue about all of these things. Heaven forbid, someone would disagree with you on the internet!

I have a bunch of Riteway Graphlix from the old Rochester company and have a fair number of Toyos.

The slides are nice on the Toyo, bit the old Riteways load much nicer. No sticking, etc, the film just slides in without ever an issue.

My Toyo's don't stink, unless I jam them up my nose.

bob

Arca-Swiss

The Toyo holders did have a bad smell from a batch, 3 or 4 years ago. Bad material. The older Riteways were similar to the fidelity holders OK. The bad Riteways were the ones with the numbering and the slides had a large plastic handle as well as the push button slide release. The 5x7 Fidelity holders also recently (last 5 or 6 years) were very inconsistent in dimension. So if you get some 5x7 fidelity or Lisco holders check them immediately on your camera to be sure they are not to tight so as to cause a problem and return them if they don't fit your camera correctly. Unfortunately no 5x7 Toyo holders are available.
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com

What is "bad" about those Riteways with the bigger handles and the numbers? I understand some people don't like the numbers. If you contact print to show the contacts, they can be obtrusive, but are also easily trimmed off if you like.

I have a bunch of these. In fact they're all I have right now. I've not noticed any problems with them. If you're saying those tend to badly place the film or have other image problems, I'll check them. But if you're just saying folks don't like the design, to each their own. I don't have to wrap rubber bands around my loaded holders to keep the slides from falling out if I accidentally turn them upside down or they bounce around in the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    My Tech III releases the lock fine. Maybe it's the later models that don't? When I bought the camera and got into LF a friend (who ran a pro lab at the time - then he got into Real Estate, then 2008 hit...) recommended the Riteways and that's what I got. I never had a problem with them.

I haven't had a problem with focus either but haven't done extensive testing.

I too like having the slide locked. It's pretty much impossible to have it accidentally bumped out (the L thingies seem awfully easy to accidentally move) and even someone who just fooled around with it would have to try to remove the slide, while for anyone who knows how it's very easy. That said, if I had a film plane focus problem I'd go to others in a heartbeat. I like the design, but only if it works (which it SEEMS to, but I've not shot, for example, those marvelous portraits at wide aperture where the back of the head is out of focus, just landscapes and buildings mostly at f/16 and f/22, occasionally f/11 or f/32.)

I presume they also stink?

Ha! Actually, no. The new cats marking the house, yes. The new - and far better behaved - Toyo's, no.

Grafmatic
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

In 4x5 and 8x10 Toyo holders are the boss IMHO. I have plenty of Fidelity and Lisco's and they work OK, but are a step down.

On par with the Toyo holders are the Fidelity 11x14 Medical Cassettes. OMG they are good.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I believe you but never noticed that about Riteway holders.
    Thanks, Brian,

When we were doing these tests we used very expensive depth micrometers and could measure to less than 1/1,000th of an inch.

Lynn

My Toyo's don't stink, but there are some who have said that about my images.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

I just have Fidelity now, but i ordered one Riteway used to try it.
    For now i will use only my NEW film holders [2] and ignore the used one until i get used to LF then i will use the old used ones as well.