Thread: kodak 8x10 master view

kodak 8x10 master view

Hi,

I have an opportunity to purchase an 8x10 master view (field camera) and 10" kod ak ektar for a very reasonable price but, before I do would like to hear some co mments about this camera. I currently shoot 4x5 so this would be a format chang e which has me a little hesitant.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

kodak 8x10 master view

Kevin,

I can't say enough good about this camera. It is one of the best deals extant - rigged, rugged, flexible, compact, and almost always cheaper than a Deardorff in similar condition. Have you seen it? Odds are the bellows will need to be replaced. The only caveat the camera has is lensboards but they can be had inexpensively from Al Bowker in Colorado. The Ektar is of course and excellent bargain provided it's priced so. You can read my comments on the KMC at www.camerareview.com. If you need 'em I'll send jpg's.

kodak 8x10 master view

As an owner of a Kodak 8 x 10 Masterview, I can only say very positive things about the camera as a total package as compared to other manufacturers offerings. I get the feeling that based upon how you asked the question, you are more concerned about the format than the specific manufacturer.

There is no mystery in the fact that an 8 x 10 system will weight much more than your 4 x 5. If you desire to do more than contact print, an enlarger will be a speciality item and will also be expensive and heavy. As a result, you must feel that the additional expense and cost must result in something of measurable value beyond what your 4 x 5 system can do. If you want to venture into platinum or some of the other alternative mediums, this could be just the ticket.

In summary. I feel that it all depends upon what type of photography you are pursuing. I have seen long time 4 x 5 users that jumped into the 8 x 10 format and have felt that they had a monkey placed upon their back while others have been literally transformed into a new dimension. Take some time to really look at what you would use this format for over your 4 x 5. If you conclude that it would only add redundancy in your photography or your instincts are still questioning the rational into this format, I would recommend a rental experience or a trip with another 8 x 10 user to test the waters.

My experience has taught me that you should not let good deals alone dictate your artistic direction. After all, isn't that what it is all about ?

Good Luck

kodak 8x10 master view

Just remember weight becomes a factor, especially with a 8*10 metal camera.

kodak 8x10 master view

True enough. However, one of the Kodaks many virtues is that it weighs about the same as a wooden Deardorff.

kodak 8x10 master view

I wanted to thank everyone who responded to my question. Everyone has been very helpful and after some deliberation I decided not to purchase the camera. I'm still relatively new to large format and decided to stay with 4x5.

Thanks again to Everyone.

Kevin